Using a harmonica holder
iarwain
2008-08-14 08:07:21 UTC
I've noticed that players like Bob Dylan and Neil Young have taken a
fair amount of flak around here for their sloppy harmonica playing.
Both of these use harmonica holders. I've started to fool around with
one and I have little doubt that has something to do with their style
of play.

Do you think it is possible to attain a high level of proficiency
playing harmonica using a holder? With all the bent notes and tricks
and such? Are there any famous players who are well respected around
here who use a harmonica holder regularly? Or is it just a completely
different game, and expectations are less using a holder?
Mr Nilsson
2008-08-14 17:05:36 UTC
Post by iarwain
I've noticed that players like Bob Dylan and Neil Young have taken a
fair amount of flak around here for their sloppy harmonica playing.
Both of these use harmonica holders. I've started to fool around with
one and I have little doubt that has something to do with their style
of play.
Do you think it is possible to attain a high level of proficiency
playing harmonica using a holder? With all the bent notes and tricks
and such? Are there any famous players who are well respected around
here who use a harmonica holder regularly? Or is it just a completely
different game, and expectations are less using a holder?
the holder will definitely limit your playing, but that doesnt mean
you cant sound good with one.
saw a busker in kyoto with a holder and he was great on the harp, no
problems with bends or anything. way better than dylan or young.
T-Bone Bruce
2008-08-16 11:41:46 UTC
Post by Mr Nilsson
Post by iarwain
[...]
Slim Harpo used a holder and had a great tone and phrasing. There are
limitations because you can't use hand techniques, but using a holder
doesn't prevent the use of bends, tongue blocking, octaves or other
techniques.
iarwain
2008-08-16 14:45:43 UTC
Post by T-Bone Bruce
Slim Harpo used a holder and had a great tone and phrasing.
Here we have a name at least. I tried to check him out on YouTube,
but there didn't seem to be any video of him. Any later players who
used a holder so I can actually see them doing it? I'm not trying to
cop licks or technique off of him, I'm just curious because I can't
recall ever seeing anyone using a holder who wasn't playing in a more
straight ahead folk style.
T-Bone Bruce
2008-08-17 10:58:16 UTC
Post by T-Bone Bruce
Slim Harpo used a holder and had a great tone and phrasing.
Here we have a name at least.  I tried to check him out on YouTube,
but there didn't seem to be any video of him.  Any later players who
used a holder so I can actually see them doing it?  I'm not trying to
cop licks or technique off of him, I'm just curious because I can't
recall ever seeing anyone using a holder who wasn't playing in a more
straight ahead folk style.
Slim Harpo (James Moore) died in 1970. He never did music as a full
time career, which might explain why there's no youtube footage. You
can do a lot worse than trying to copy his style though.
Try looking up Keb Mo' or John Hammond Jr on youtube, two players who
also make use of racked harp.

John Hammond's high end stuff is very much in the style of Jimmy Reed.
iarwain
2008-08-18 17:11:10 UTC
Try looking up Keb Mo'  or John Hammond Jr on youtube
Hey, those guys are good.
Mark McDonald
2008-08-18 17:24:49 UTC

Mark
Mark McDonald
2008-08-18 17:48:58 UTC
Here is another with straight harp.

Mark
T-Bone Bruce
2008-08-19 17:53:35 UTC
http://youtu.be/LSZJ73B7ndk
--
Mark
Nice playing Mark.. there seemed to be a bit of a problem with the
shrimp blues"?
Mark McDonald
2008-08-19 20:26:02 UTC
Yes the studio preamp was screwed up. The kicker is I had my own with me
but didn't realize the problem until I saw the tape. Thank you for the kind
words.
--
Mark McDonald
***@sonic.net