Ralf
Adams661
2009-01-22 17:20:13 UTC
I saw an old post of yours as well as one of Allens Ralf. If you get
by with a 10 watt amp then you're either lucky or smart enough to
choose band mates who understand volume levels? I cant for the life
of me see why you'd need more though. I've got a 5 watt Harmony with a
10" and an 8" crammed into it that seems plenty loud to me. To be
twice as loud as a 10 watt you need a 100 watt amp. I have a 130 watt
Music Man and let me tell you. Though it sounds good I'd much rather
carry my 12 lb. Harmony or 30LB Princeton Reverb to gigs and jam
nights. I dont play music with children so I've never had a problem
with volume
Ralf K. Buschner
2009-01-24 17:48:08 UTC
Hi Keith,
Post by Adams661
I saw an old post of yours as well as one of Allens Ralf. If you get
by with a 10 watt amp then you're either lucky or smart enough to
choose band mates who understand volume levels?
that's relating to the guys i use to play with. In Munich, Germany we have 2
Jam Sessions, one is weekly, the other one monthly. With 10 Watts - no
chance, except i would mic the amp, which is too much struggle within a Jam
Session. Those 2 sessions are crowded by rock guitar players, although they
claim "Let's play something bluesy!" they tend to play rock within a
pentatonic scale, and they use to play loud. Errr...no...i mena: LOUD.
I don't like to play with them, and i rather don't play at all instead of
playing with them.
BUT: There's one club, 100 km's down south, with blues players. 10 Watts are
more than enough there, and once a guest guitar player played loud, the
(female) drummer asked after the set (really angry!): "Ey, something wrong
with your ears? Why did you play so f*cking loud!!!???"
Post by Adams661
I cant for the life
of me see why you'd need more though. I've got a 5 watt Harmony with a
10" and an 8" crammed into it that seems plenty loud to me. To be
twice as loud as a 10 watt you need a 100 watt amp. I have a 130 watt
Music Man and let me tell you. Though it sounds good I'd much rather
carry my 12 lb. Harmony or 30LB Princeton Reverb to gigs and jam
nights. I dont play music with children so I've never had a problem
with volume
That's the point. I don't have to prove a thing to anyone - i try to make
music. Let them earsplitters do their thing alone.

Seeya,
Ralf
John Agosta
2009-01-31 23:48:33 UTC
Post by Adams661
I saw an old post of yours as well as one of Allens Ralf. If you get
by with a 10 watt amp then you're either lucky or smart enough to
choose band mates who understand volume levels? I cant for the life
of me see why you'd need more though. I've got a 5 watt Harmony with a
10" and an 8" crammed into it that seems plenty loud to me. To be
twice as loud as a 10 watt you need a 100 watt amp. I have a 130 watt
Music Man and let me tell you. Though it sounds good I'd much rather
carry my 12 lb. Harmony or 30LB Princeton Reverb to gigs and jam
nights. I dont play music with children so I've never had a problem
with volume
I dunno about this 'volume' thing.
I have 4 'rigs.'
It's all about pushing air to ears that can hear it.
A four speaker amp at 25 watts can be heard better than a single at higher
ratings.
I've been struggling with this issue for years, and I've settled on a lower
powered amp with 4 x 10 for some venues, and a higher powered amp with 1 x
15
for others. I have come to realize, also, that my choice of rig will be
influenced
by the venue and the audience that is anticipated to be there - not so much
room size.
Sometimes, I will bring more than 1 rig with me, so I can adapt to the
scene.
Does any of this make sense?

-lock
Adams661
2009-02-03 13:07:06 UTC
Post by Adams661
I saw an old post of yours as well as one of Allens Ralf. If you get
by with a 10 watt amp then you're either lucky or smart enough to
choose band mates who understand volume levels?  I cant for the life
of me see why you'd need more though. I've got a 5 watt Harmony with a
10" and an 8" crammed into it that seems plenty loud to me. To be
twice as loud as a 10 watt you need a 100 watt amp. I have a 130 watt
Music Man and let me tell you. Though it sounds good  I'd much rather
carry my 12 lb. Harmony or 30LB Princeton Reverb to gigs and jam
nights. I dont play music with children so I've never had a problem
with volume
Yeah it makes sense John. It is about pushing air but the thing about
it is..You shouldnt have to push so much air. That playing too loud
stuff comes from a lack of experience. It doesnt matter what type of
music is being played. Too loud is too loud. Massive volume is a good
way to hide shotty playing. I like it loud but not so loud that you
cant hear the music or the nuances associated with top notch playing
John Agosta
2009-02-03 19:32:47 UTC
Post by Adams661
[...]

Agreed. Usually, problems I encounter with 'loudness' happens at open jams.
Bad as this may sound, when I see the guitar player with leather pants
at the open jam it's usually time for me to take a walk...

When I hear a regular band play, including my own, the group usually has
things
under control where everyone can be heard, and at tolerable levels.
Pushing air is important in a large venue, but it doesn't have to be 'loud.'

Side note --- I see you have a Princeton Reverb.
I have one also - very old - my brother passed it down to me.
Serial number '90.' That little fella still makes some good sound.
John Agosta
2009-02-05 23:13:47 UTC
Post by Adams661
I saw an old post of yours as well as one of Allens Ralf. If you get
by with a 10 watt amp then you're either lucky or smart enough to
choose band mates who understand volume levels? I cant for the life
of me see why you'd need more though. I've got a 5 watt Harmony with a
10" and an 8" crammed into it that seems plenty loud to me. To be
twice as loud as a 10 watt you need a 100 watt amp. I have a 130 watt
Music Man and let me tell you. Though it sounds good I'd much rather
carry my 12 lb. Harmony or 30LB Princeton Reverb to gigs and jam
nights. I dont play music with children so I've never had a problem
with volume
Yeah John.
Mines a Silverface made in 77. You know I guess it must show my age
because the Blackface Princeton Reverbs were the first Princetons to
have reverb. They were made in which. 64 or 65? That just doesnt seem
that old to me. Princetons were around from the very beginning in the
late 40's. Now that seems old for an amp. Talk about a basic amp. No
tone controls or an output jack. The guitar chords were hard wired in.
No on/off switch. You just unplugged them. They didnt have any
headroom but in a way they were some of Fenders best sounding amps. If
you didnt turn em up too loud. Then they'd distort to beat hell. Back
then that was the last thing an amp builder wanted. They slowly but
surely worked out a nice clean tone at high levels. I think that the
clean sound was what made the Ampegs such desirable amps ? Jazz
musicians really liked them

I 'think' mine is a '64. A tag on it says "production 90," and there is a
machine stamped
number "A 09448" on the chassis. I think I'm gonna Google and find out if
this means anything....

At one time, when my life was over complicated, I had a very small wattage
Ampeg,
which I used to drive an old 65 Bassman. The one with a seperate power head
and 2 x 15 speaker cabinet. It sounded really nice. But what a pain it was
to drag this thing
around ! It was as big as a sofa.....

It's funny. I get comments from ALL the guitar players about the Princeton.
Sometimes, I feel like putting a "lo-jack" in it, because people really do
spend a lot of time looking at it.

The harp players all comment on the Fat Dog.

And everyone comments on my home made amp, which is a 30 watt Realistic PA
what I wired into a 15 inch monitor type cabinet, complete with horn
tweeter.
It looks like something from Grandpa Munster's laboratory. Some of the guys
around
here even gave it a name - The Frankenamp. I'm thinking of putting one of
them
eletrode-lightening-rabbit ear type generators on the top of it. Quite an
attention getter......

Any way - be well. Glad to hear from ya.
Adams661
Adams661
2009-02-06 02:22:10 UTC
Post by Adams661
I saw an old post of yours as well as one of Allens Ralf. If you get
by with a 10 watt amp then you're either lucky or smart enough to
choose band mates who understand volume levels?  I cant for the life
of me see why you'd need more though. I've got a 5 watt Harmony with a
10" and an 8" crammed into it that seems plenty loud to me. To be
twice as loud as a 10 watt you need a 100 watt amp. I have a 130 watt
Music Man and let me tell you. Though it sounds good  I'd much rather
carry my 12 lb. Harmony or 30LB Princeton Reverb to gigs and jam
nights. I dont play music with children so I've never had a problem
with volume
Glad you're into amps and understand them as well as you do. I know
what you mean about the Bassman seperate speaker cabinet amps. I knew
a guy with a Blackface Bassman in that configuration. It was one of
the first Blackfaces because it had the all white knobs on it.
Pristine condition. Probably because he didnt want to move the danged
thing around. What a giant cabinet for just one 15" speaker. I saw
some harp player shootout results a while back for low wattage tube
amps. They tested all types of famous named amps. The Princeton Reverb
was number one. I aint putting Robbie down and respect him for his
knowledge of amp building. I wouldnt give you twenty five cents for
one of his amps though. They're incapable of making a clean sound. One
of the reasons I stopped visiting here was because of the dislike I
was recieving for my opinions on distorted harp tone. A little is
alright from time to time. In general I cant stand it though.
Distortion isnt musical and hides all manner of shitty playing. Even
when Charlie Musslewhite is playing it sounds to me like he is using a
two reed harp. Until he decides to jump up the scale that is. Then
he's got two on the top and two on the bottom of the scale. I did like
to hear Big Walters distortion though. Cant stand that damned Kim
Wilsons playing. It grinds on my nerves after half a song
Eric Stahl
2009-02-06 06:05:57 UTC
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 18:22:10 -0800 (PST), Adams661
Post by Adams661
Post by Adams661
[...]
You speak your mind from experience without spewing BS Keith, and
that's a good thing!

Even if I have been known to really enjoy the sound of those crunchy
harp amps from time to time :-)

-Erc
Adams661
2009-02-21 03:07:07 UTC
Post by Adams661
I saw an old post of yours as well as one of Allens Ralf. If you get
by with a 10 watt amp then you're either lucky or smart enough to
choose band mates who understand volume levels?  I cant for the life
of me see why you'd need more though. I've got a 5 watt Harmony with a
10" and an 8" crammed into it that seems plenty loud to me. To be
twice as loud as a 10 watt you need a 100 watt amp. I have a 130 watt
Music Man and let me tell you. Though it sounds good  I'd much rather
carry my 12 lb. Harmony or 30LB Princeton Reverb to gigs and jam
nights. I dont play music with children so I've never had a problem
with volume
I've got to be honest with you Eric. I shouldnt be knocking some of
those guys and C. Musslewhite in paticular. I've got to envy him for
doing something in a way I cant. I cant hardly stand to hear him sing
or care for his simple, mindless lyrics but what he does on the harp
with tone and phrasing is the tops in his game. Maybe its the fact
that the Blues Harp type sound and playing characteristics have become
the standard to which harp and harp players as musicians are judged
against? Well Blues musicians have allowed blues to be led into a dead
end on a way one street. Everybody likes it ,listens to it,and
musicians cant get around playing it because of its raw appeal. Its
the low man on the totem pole of genres though.Harp players shouldnt
pick a losing proposition to be judged by.
In other words. Dont emulate the same old shit or harp players are
throwing more trash into the landfill. What would you call this mess
I've written? Flapping my jaws or worse?