Possibly silly question
Tim Finnegan
2008-12-02 19:45:13 UTC
Hi all

When a song has a key change does that mean you need to change harps?

Tim
Harpman
2008-12-02 22:21:02 UTC
Post by Tim Finnegan
Hi all
When a song has a key change does that mean you need to change harps?
Tim
usually, unless the change is so fast that you are back in the original
key soon enough to keep the original harp. If the key change is very
short, just don't play through those few bars. Hope this helps. Allen
2008-12-03 17:34:14 UTC
Post by Tim Finnegan
Hi all
When a song has a key change does that mean you need to change harps?
Tim
Assuming you mean on a /diatonic/ harp and your harp playing skills are
that of a mortal: not necessarily. Depending on the keys in question and
what notes are played before and after the change, you could "change
position" and/ or use a bend or two.

Changing harp might be more practical in other cases.

Addition 1: Would you be called Howard Levy or Tinus Koorn the answer to
your question would probably be a resounding no

Addition 2: Getting a chromatic to do the job would be my preference...
GuitarJoe
2009-01-24 14:10:55 UTC
If you're on Chromatic you can just change where you're playing on it. On
diatonic you probably have to grab another harp.

I hate key changes. They're just a cheap gimmick IMO. I don't mean where
Jazz changes key centers all the time. I mean an average song that all the
sudden changes. Like "Me and Bobby McGee", "Amarillo by Morning", "Detroit
City" -those changes are just gimmicks I think