will he replicate this note for note?
Harpman
2008-09-27 23:20:28 UTC
On you tube is "Mississippi Heat" at Rosas. A harp player with his band
doing a terrific instrumental. It is about 5 min. long . My question is,
is this a melody from a song or is this all improvisation, and if he
were to do this again, would it be exactly like it is on this you tube
video? I have played along with him several times, but cannot memorize
his exact riffs or phrasing, but i have the general idea.Just curious if
this is a specific standard or song that has been around for some time,
or did he just make this up and play until he got tired? Thanks for
everyones opinion. Allen
harpdude
2008-10-08 09:13:51 UTC
Post by Harpman
On you tube is "Mississippi Heat" at Rosas. A harp player with his band
doing a terrific instrumental. It is about 5 min. long . My question is,
is this a melody from a song or is this all improvisation, and if he
were to do this again, would it be exactly like it is on this you tube
video? I have played along with him several times, but cannot memorize
his exact riffs or phrasing, but i have the general idea.Just curious if
this is a specific standard or song that has been around for some time,
or did he just make this up and play until he got tired? Thanks for
everyones opinion. Allen
Hi Allen, I can't see anyone remembering an instrumental of that
length note for note. Personally I'd be bored silly having to play a
song the exact same way time after time. Keeping the same feel is
definitely important , but it's cool if you can can improvise
somewhat ..... variety is definitely one of life's spices! I'm glad
to see you've got an acoustic duo happening for yourself ol' buddy.
Silk and Adam's don't seem to drop by anymore either I see. BTW
Winechef, this is Mukluk. Talk at ya soon bro.

Chuck
http://www.reverbnation.com/harpdude
Mr Nilsson
2008-10-08 15:43:23 UTC
Post by harpdude
Post by Harpman
[...]
how about classical music?
how about the guitar solo in freebird where two guitars play the same
thing for like 5mins? :)

but yeah, i too believe theres a lot of improvisation involved.
a direct youtube link would be good
harpdude
2008-10-09 03:19:31 UTC
Post by Mr Nilsson
Post by Harpman
[...]
a direct youtube link would be good- Hide quoted text -
Howdy MN, yeah, I've never seen a performer playing an exrended solo ,
note for note, each time. Not to say it can't be done, but who would
want to? I know I'd be bored silly playing a song the exact same way
every time.
Harpman
2008-10-08 16:12:10 UTC
Post by harpdude
Post by Harpman
[...]
Hi Mukluk, Haven't seen you around for a long time!Hiding out? Also,
Adam and Silk have done a disappearing act, although not so long ago,
Adam contacted me to look at some lyrics and hear some new songs he
wrote.How has life been treating you?This newsgroup sure has changed
over the years. I remember when there were tons of people writing almost
hourly, there was so much excitement and fun, and lots of yelling and
cursing. I wonder where everyone went.Just finished listening to your
sons. Nice job! Great pictures. The harp player who I took lessons from
went on 2 blues cruises with his wife. Unless you knew him, you probably
wouldn't remember his name. He is Dave Broida and his stage name for his
band is Dave Vibrato. He said the trips were a blast. Good to hear from
you. Keep harpin,your doing a great job. Allen
harpdude
2008-10-09 03:34:48 UTC
Post by Harpman
Post by Harpman
[...]
you. Keep harpin,your doing a great job. Allen- Hide quoted text -
Hey Allen, yeah, I've been busy with work , family life, and the
band. I think all the spam shit that was filling up the usenet groups
a while back, sort of forced people to find other internet hangouts. I
checked out your site buddy, goood job!! You still playing Delta
Frosts? Yeah, I miss those wilder days of usenet, it sure was an
entertaining read. Maybe it'll start up again in the future. I might
have run into your buddy Dave. Was he on the Jan/06, or the Oct/07
Blues Cruise?? Do ya ever hear from good ol' Nate Taiapa anymore?
He had a blues show in Hamilton, N.Z. awhile back, and he did a fine
job of spreadin the blues!!! Talk at ya later Allen.

Harpman
2008-10-09 05:54:40 UTC
Post by harpdude
Post by Harpman
Post by harpdude
Post by Harpman
[...]
Chuck, I haven't heard from Nate in ages.I stopped using Delta Frosts
around Jan. of this year. I discovered Suzuki Bluesmasters, and thought
they sounded almost identical to the Delta Frost and were quite a bit
cheaper. I bought a set of 6 that come in a nice case. Really like
them.I'm not positive but I think Dave was on both of those cruises. I
know he was on two of them. One left out of Fla. and I think the other
one left from S. Calif.Keep in touch. Allen