bbc4 tv program tonight
Elmo' 7#9
2008-03-14 17:55:40 UTC
Tin Sandwich, Anyone?: A History of...
...the Harmonica

Exploring how the humble mouth-organ, often dismissed as a toy, has adapted
to different forms of music-making all over the world. Featuring Rory
McLeod, Will Galison, Paul Jones, Brendan Power, as well as footage from
Charlie Leighton's Tuesday Blows where six players jam together in his
apartment. [S]

Fri 14 Mar, 20:00-21:00 60mins Stereo Widescreen

It's repeated again at 1:25 AM.

Sometimes the BBC make programs like this available via their website - so
non-UK players might get a chance to see it, too.

Elmo' 7#9
salmon
2008-03-14 20:52:51 UTC
Thanks for the heads-up Elmo, just my luck don't have BBC4 but
sometimes these programs are repeated on BBC2 late at night a few
weeks later. I'n gonna keep my eyes peeled for this one. I'm trying to
get someone to record it for me but most people don't have VHS any
more. They save it to disc. Oh well. If I hear it's on BBC2 later I'll
post on here. I can't get it from their website - still on dial-up.
B*ll*cks. Let us know what it was like won't you?Thanks.
Taurus
Padog
2008-03-18 13:17:43 UTC
The blasted thing won't play for us in the States[!!]

Does any one know a way around the block?

Or could some one drop the Vids to a CD or DVD and Post it to me ~ at my
expense?
Post by Taurus
It is possible to watch this on BBC Iplayer, I started watching it
tonight. Thanks for the info'.
Jim.
..
Jim Robson
2008-03-18 20:44:46 UTC
There may be a way to record this but it is beyond my knowledge, I think
that the BBC have put a spoiler on the player to stop copying. But I'm sure
someone on here would have the expertise to get round it. The only thing
that I could do is record the soundtrack, but that's not quite the same.
Jim.
salmon
2008-03-19 21:14:14 UTC
My son in law recorded this onto a DVD for me and I managed to watch
it tonight.
My God, what a fantastic program this is. I really urge anyone who can
get to watch this to do so.
Apart from the history of the harp there are many film clips of the
past and present legends of
harmonica playing such as Sonny Terry, Toots Thielman (sp), Larry
Adler, Brendan Power, Rory
Mcleod etc. etc. etc. and an absolutely knockout piece showing Howard
Levy playing Amazing Grace
making his diatonic sound like, well I don't know what. How he can
make the sounds he makes
is impossible to imagine.

For those of you in the UK, it may be repeated on BBC2 if you missed
it, I'll keep an eye out and
post here if I see it coming.

As a relative newcomer to the Harp (just under a year) I thought I was
making progress and I suppose
I am in a way, but it's not until I actually saw and heard these
masters that I realise I've got a long long way to go.

But hey! what a fantastic and enjoyable journey that will give me
years of pleasure. Please see it if you can, it is most
worthwhile.
worthwhile.
DB4
2008-03-21 21:05:35 UTC
The program can be viewed on line on the BBC website (cut & paste the URL) :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b0094zrl.shtml?filter=channel%3Abbc_f
our&scope=iplayerchannels&start=2&version_pid=b0094zns

The Beeb sometimes put collections of their documentaries out on DVD but
nothing on this one yet. Completely agree though - was an excellent prog and
made me all the determined to buy one of those DVD recorders!

Dennis