Hey Allen
Adams661
2009-01-22 17:06:39 UTC
I saw an old post of yours concerning a GB mic. Though some mic
elements are a bit better for harp than others.. I think that using a
mic that feels good in your hands is more important than element
choice. I must have 4 GB's ,3 spare CM elements and 3 EV's with CM
elements in them that never get used. I prefer all my mics to be high
impedence. If they arent then I'll stick a transformer in the shell to
make them that way. I have a Shure SM 58 that I put a transformer into
its XLR plug. Its really a superior mic like that But I seem to always
turn to a Shure 540 S. I'm also partial to the mics I used to make and
a Microvox that Silk gave me a long time back.
Besides the tones they make being good I like the way they feel and
cup. I bought an old GB with the smaller body and great sounding
crystal element in it from an antique swap meet for $8 a while back
but never use it because of the shell shape. They make a better hand
grenade than a harp mic IMO. Use whatever feels good in your hands
Harpman
2009-01-22 17:21:21 UTC
Post by Adams661
[...]
Hi Keith, Long time no hear!!. How are you doing these days? Still
writing songs.?Gigging at all? I have a good music partner(blues
guitarist/vocalist) and we have been playing out since mid 2008. Two
weeks ago I played all my mics for him to see which one he liked the
best. We ended up with my Madcat Ruth harp I bought many yrs. ago when
they first came on the market.Prior to that time I used the mic you made
for me exclusively. The comments I got when people saw it were
amazing.Yesterday we were number 2 in the Bay area for blues on the
reverbnation sites.!Check us out at either of these places:
http://www.reverbnation.com/frontporchblues or
myspace.com/thefrontporchblues If I can ever buy a GB in good
condition that has a "good" element that is affordable I will get one.
I'm just interested in seeing if it is that significantly different ,as
so many people swear by them.I'm always striving for that"hot dirty
sound". If you have one you are willing to part with ,give me your
price.As I am retired, money is something I consider in any and all
purchases. Social security doesn't go far these days and the stock
market has almost wiped me out. Thanks for the response and it is great
hearing from you! This newsgroup has almost become non-existent since
all the old timers dropped out. Take care and hope all is well with you.
Allen
Eric Stahl
2009-01-23 05:09:33 UTC
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:06:39 -0800 (PST), Adams661
Post by Adams661
[...]
Hello Keith,

I've got an old cool looking American mic that weighs about 42 lbs
holding some kind of military-grade element with plenty more oomph
than my GB/CM - and a real nice sound.

Guess which one I play most often :-)

-Eric
Adams661
2009-01-23 06:22:49 UTC
Post by Adams661
[...]
Now that you bring it up Eric. I have an American Salt Shaker mic with
a GB element in it. Its real heavy but I still like the way it feels
allot better than a GB body
Adams661
2009-02-03 13:48:05 UTC
Post by Adams661
[...]
Though I dont really care for the green bullet mics. I kinda wanna
hang on to em. They seem to be getting more scarce and no telling what
the price for an element is gonna go up to before long. Rest assured
Allen. They dont change your tone enough to matter. You've been
playing long enough to know the tone comes from the shape of your
mouth,opened up air passages and how hard you're hammering on the
reeds. After all the hub bub you hear about GB's its easy to forget
its a bunch of horse shit. One day a great harp playing buddy of mine
came over with every mic he owned and I had about 10 of various types.
I listened to him play through every one and they all sounded about
the same. There wasnt enough difference between em to amount to a
hill of beans. One mic out of the whole bunch stood out. It was an old
Biscuit mic with an ancient crystal in it.
When they get old like that they can sound fantastic right before they
turn to dust. One minute they work and the next they dont
Harpman
2009-02-03 16:05:33 UTC
Post by Adams661
Post by Adams661
[...]
Keith, Thanks for the info. I tend to agree with you on the tone vs. mic
situation. You probably saved me a bunch of money.Still writing, making
guitars? Allen
Adams661
2009-02-05 21:47:20 UTC
Post by Adams661
[...]
Yeah Allen. My writing comes in spurts these days. Sound kinda like my
urinating as well to tell you the truth. Still making guitars. I've
been building some dandies lately. Not since Christmas though. I
mangled the f**k out of three fingers on my right hand in the table
saw. I ruined one on a power saw about 26 years ago. After what the
doctors put me through .I said to hell with that and didnt go see any
of the quack bastards. They are still all mighty sore and throb like a
young hens ass when they get cold but I got all the scabs picked off
of them about 5 weeks after cutting them. They look funky(cut a couple
finger nails right down the middle. But they still work and theres
feeling in them. When a dull saw blade hits flesh .It doesnt really
cut anything. It just plain eats it. About a 1/4" wide. I dont
recommend it to any of the brothers out there. Know what I mean. Allen
if you want a dirty tone from a mic then I might try a Harmonica
Honker. You can adjust the amount of distortion they make I think?
Harpman
2009-02-05 23:45:44 UTC
Post by Adams661
Post by Adams661
[...]
Keith, Have you been selling the guitars you made and are any of them
acoustic, or all electric? Hope your fingers are healing ok. Tough to
play guitar with three mangled fingers. Allen
Adams661
2009-02-06 02:03:44 UTC
Post by Adams661
[...]
I build electrics Allen but they also have a good acoustic tone. Not
as loud when unplugged as an acoustic though. I build them totally
hollow(no wood center strip and no feedback causing F holes). It cuts
down on a bunch of weight and IMO makes em sound and sustain better
than a solid body. While A Les Paul may weigh anywhere between 10 and
13 pounds. Mine usually tip the scales a little over 5 pounds. I never
could feature strapping 12 pounds of dead tree around my neck. I sell
one from time to time but mostly give them away for the enjoyment it
gives me. My girlfriend dont enjoy my kind of generosity too much
though. She's usually the one paying for the parts. When I can get my
black walnut for free the complete guitar only costs me about $130 to
build. It costs me a shit load of hours though. Besides the electric
Spanish style guitars I also build electric lap steels. No body else
would agree but the way I build them it actually turns out to be a
harder process than the Spanish type guitars
Harpman
2009-02-06 16:19:39 UTC
Post by Adams661
Post by Adams661
[...]
Keith, Why aren't you interested in selling these on a regular basis?
Could be great extra income for you and your girlfriend will love you
that much more!!!!Allen
Adams661
2009-02-07 03:01:10 UTC
Post by Adams661
[...]
I dont know Allen. I could never charge a price that matches the
amount of time that goes into them while still expecting to sell em. I
put allot of effort into them and selling them ( unless I only charge
for parts ) cheapens something I get a kick out of. To me a guitars
got a soul ( for the lack of better words ) and selling em like a
whore ruins the mojo
Harpman