Epiphone valve junior set up
a***@alliance.csc.com
2008-04-02 14:24:39 UTC
I need some advice.

I have an Epiphone Valve Junior head (one of the newer ones).

I've been using it for a while, I'm generally happy with it. I'd like
to set it up for playing harp. I'm not looking for a new hobby as an
amp tech.

--Speaker cabinet--
I'd like to build or buy a small speaker cabinet for it. I'm a
woodworker. Building the cabinet is not a problem. But, I don't feel
any particular need to build a cabinet of there's one available for a
reasonable price. Any advice on ready-made cabinets or speaker
configurations and brands? I'm not looking for the ~$500, absolute
best option that requires me to scour ebay for elusive, no longer
produced hardware. I'm really interested in the ~$100, pretty darn
good option that would involve buying 1 or 2 new speakers that someone
has had good experience with.

--Tube swap--
Mostly, I use a Green Bullet. I'm pretty good at avoiding feedback,
but it does happen occasionally (usually in a fairly confined practice
space).

I have read that swapping the pre-amp tube can help this. Has anyone
actually done this and found it to be beneficial? If so, what did you
swap and did it require the amp to be re-biased?

--Anything big I have missed--
Are there any other modifications/setup issues that you have found
beneficial and you think I should consider? I'm not asking so much
for a list of what's out there as much as things that a harmonica
player has actually done and had good results from.

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

/Thanks much in advance
/Alan
John
2008-04-03 12:22:13 UTC
Try some of these for pre-amp options:

Tube Gain Substitute
12AU7 19 12AV7
12AV7 41 12AY7
12AY7 45 12AV7, 12AT7, 5751
12AT7 60 12AY7, 5751
5751 70 12AY7, 12AT7, 12AX7
12AX7 100 12AY7, 12AT7, 5751
/Alan
T-Bone Bruce
2008-04-04 10:56:32 UTC
Tube    Gain    Substitute
12AU7   19      12AV7
12AV7   41      12AY7
12AY7   45      12AV7, 12AT7, 5751
12AT7   60      12AY7, 5751
5751    70      12AY7, 12AT7, 12AX7
12AX7   100     12AY7, 12AT7, 5751
Post by a***@alliance.csc.com
[...]
/Alan- Hide quoted text -
If you don't want to play around in the guts of your Valve Junior Head
a 12AY7 is a nice preamp tube to use to drop the gain. I have used
tube swaps to lower gain, and like the 12AY7, which was used in the
first preamp stages of many classic amps. These days I prefer to tweak
the components of the circuit and use 12AX7's.
The preamp stages are cathode biased, and don't technically need
adjustment for a tube swap. Some tubes will draw more current and
potentially could cause a failure, but I haven't heard of this
occurring.
If you are prepared to pay someone to do the mods for you then Lone
Wolf Blues Company can do mods to your VJ for $75 to make it more harp
friendly.
http://www.lonewolfblues.com/index.html
FWIW I am a moderator on Lone Wolf's Forum, and a happy customer. I
don't have any commerical interests in Lone Wolf Blues Co.
With regards to a cab, Lopo Line do some cabs at good prices, around
$120 for a tolexed 1x10 open back cab and your choice of grill cloth.
Speaker wise I prefer 10's or 8's for harp, but I'd agree with Robbie
Reynolds of Fat Dog Amps that 8's have an earlier onset of feedback
and less overall usable volume. Right now I have a 30-35 watt 2x6L6
amp that has 2x8's and 1x10 which is a nice compromise. For small harp
amps a single 10" works well. Weber's sig series, in either alnico or
ceramic, with a smooth cone and harp dust cap are likely to be good. I
presently use an Eminence Alpha 10 speaker, which is a 10" 8 ohm PA
speaker rather than a guitar speaker, and it is a great choice.
Keith Adams
2008-04-04 14:55:11 UTC
One example of a preamp tube drawing more current than an amp can handle
that I know of TBone is a 12AY7 in a Princeton Reverb. They have a tendency
to fry resistors that arent of a high enough wattage value. I've forgotten
which resistors but they wont cut it with a 12AY7.
Tube Gain Substitute
12AU7 19 12AV7
12AV7 41 12AY7
12AY7 45 12AV7, 12AT7, 5751
12AT7 60 12AY7, 5751
5751 70 12AY7, 12AT7, 12AX7
12AX7 100 12AY7, 12AT7, 5751
Robert Reynolds
T-Bone Bruce
2008-04-05 13:52:51 UTC
Post by Keith Adams
One example of a preamp tube drawing more current than an amp can handle
that I know of  TBone is a 12AY7 in a Princeton Reverb. They have a tendency
to fry resistors that arent of a high enough wattage value. I've forgotten
which resistors but  they wont cut it with a 12AY7.
I think it's usually the plate resistors for the preamp tube it
happens to, although feasibly it could happen to the dropping resistor
for the preamp too. That's because they use 0.5 watt rated resistors
all too often. I use 2 watt plate resistors in my amp to take the
extra current.
Robert Reynolds
extra current.
T-Bone Bruce
2008-04-05 14:14:24 UTC
Post by T-Bone Bruce
I think it's usually the plate resistors for the preamp tube it
happens to, although feasibly it could happen to the dropping resistor
for the preamp too. That's because they use 0.5 watt rated resistors
all too often. I use 2 watt plate resistors in my amp to take the
extra current.- Hide quoted text -
I read on the Music Electronics Forum they used 1/4w plate resistors
in the RI Bassman to start with, but had so many problems they had to
start putting in 1/2 watt.
Robert Reynolds
2008-04-05 18:20:14 UTC
That's ridiculous. What a bunch of cheapskates. What do the 1/2 watt
resistors cost, about 4 cents more?
start putting in 1/2 watt.
T-Bone Bruce
2008-04-06 11:11:25 UTC
That's ridiculous.  What a bunch of cheapskates.  What do the 1/2 watt
resistors cost, about 4 cents more?
 I read on the Music Electronics Forum they used 1/4w plate resistors
in the RI Bassman to start with, but had so many problems they had to
start putting in 1/2 watt.- Hide quoted text -
Probably, but if a big company can save even a few cents they will.
I'd rather use components that exceed spec and have an amp that's
reliable.