Back to square one...
RPM1
2008-07-20 16:18:52 UTC
I've been playing for about 1.5 years now and I've been puzzled that the
books I read and the videos I watch never explain how to do those really
cool shuffles. Well this morning I figured out that those really cool
shuffles apparently all use tongue blocking. I've always done lip blocking.

So I did some web research on tongue blocking and realized that I'm
going to need to go back to square one. I ordered Jerry Portnoy's Blues
Harmonica Masterclass boxed set. I also found a couple of videos by
Adam Gussow that explain a little bit about tongue blocking.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Patrick
Harpman
2008-07-20 16:28:55 UTC
Post by RPM1
I've been playing for about 1.5 years now and I've been puzzled that the
books I read and the videos I watch never explain how to do those really
cool shuffles. Well this morning I figured out that those really cool
shuffles apparently all use tongue blocking. I've always done lip blocking.
So I did some web research on tongue blocking and realized that I'm
going to need to go back to square one. I ordered Jerry Portnoy's Blues
Harmonica Masterclass boxed set. I also found a couple of videos by
Adam Gussow that explain a little bit about tongue blocking.
Anybody have any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Patrick
Patrick, here is my own technique for tongue blocking: I put the tip of
my tongue into the hole just left of the note I want to play. It
works. I performed this and explained it at a SPAH convention to
professional blues harp players. They said it sounded fine to them. Hope
this helps. Allen
Mr Nilsson
this helps. Allen
Harpman
I have to use lip pursing to bend them. Allen
Skeeter
2008-07-25 20:53:25 UTC
Post by RPM1
I've been playing for about 1.5 years now and I've been puzzled that the
books I read and the videos I watch never explain how to do those really
cool shuffles. Well this morning I figured out that those really cool
shuffles apparently all use tongue blocking. I've always done lip blocking.
So I did some web research on tongue blocking and realized that I'm
going to need to go back to square one. I ordered Jerry Portnoy's Blues
Harmonica Masterclass boxed set. I also found a couple of videos by
Adam Gussow that explain a little bit about tongue blocking.
Anybody have any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Patrick
Hello Patrick:

First, I must say that tongue blocking is a very valuable skill to
develop and it will simplify some rhythmic and tonal challenges.

Second, I am compelled to ask. Which cool shuffles have you been
trying to learn that absolutely need tongue blocking? I have played
many shuffles with and without tongue blocking. It's hardly a
dealbreaker for getting most blues shuffles to sound very satisfying
and get plenty of applause and appreciation.

The tongue blocking basic that Harpman offered is my choice for
learning how to tongue block. But don't just anchor the tongue tip in
the hole to the left of the hole you are sounding. Try anchoring the
tongue tip to the hole on the right as well. Works better for
descending runs. By making your tongue blocking ambidexterous, you
will also find playing "spread intervals and chords" that need middle
hole(s) blocked will become very easy as well.

As far as bending notes. You should be able to bend a note without
assistance of your lips or the front of your tongue. A reed can be
bent with only using the neck muscles, rear of your tongue, and jaw
position to influence the air flow and allow decent bending.

Practice, practice, practice.... Just play that harp a ton!

Regards,
Skeeter
RPM1
2008-07-26 12:40:02 UTC
Post by Skeeter
Post by RPM1
I've been playing for about 1.5 years now and I've been puzzled that the
books I read and the videos I watch never explain how to do those really
cool shuffles. Well this morning I figured out that those really cool
<snip>
First, I must say that tongue blocking is a very valuable skill to
develop and it will simplify some rhythmic and tonal challenges.
Second, I am compelled to ask. Which cool shuffles have you been
trying to learn that absolutely need tongue blocking? I have played
many shuffles with and without tongue blocking. It's hardly a
dealbreaker for getting most blues shuffles to sound very satisfying
and get plenty of applause and appreciation.
I recently watched Mark Hummel's "Harmonica Party" DVD. Actually the
shuffle he plays in the intro is what caught my ear. It seems like a
very simple shuffle, but I can't seem to get it to sound like his.
Since it is in the intro, he doesn't describe what he's doing, (it's
probably so simple he feels there is no need to describe it). He
mentions later in the DVD that he primarily tongue blocks; that's what
got me thinking that I needed to learn tongue blocking.
Post by Skeeter
The tongue blocking basic that Harpman offered is my choice for
learning how to tongue block. But don't just anchor the tongue tip in
the hole to the left of the hole you are sounding. Try anchoring the
tongue tip to the hole on the right as well. Works better for
descending runs. By making your tongue blocking ambidexterous, you
will also find playing "spread intervals and chords" that need middle
hole(s) blocked will become very easy as well.
As far as bending notes. You should be able to bend a note without
assistance of your lips or the front of your tongue. A reed can be
bent with only using the neck muscles, rear of your tongue, and jaw
position to influence the air flow and allow decent bending.
Yep. My problem is habit. Having played with lip pucker for over a
year now, my tongue *wants* to move to bend. I can bend notes if I bite
my tongue to keep it in place, but my tongue needs to be retrained so it
doesn't pull back for bends.
Post by Skeeter
Practice, practice, practice.... Just play that harp a ton!
I play as much as I can, (which is about 30 minutes a day). I wish I
could play more, but I have so many other things to do...

Thanks,
Patrick