Breaking in a new Harp.
salmon
2007-09-30 17:04:09 UTC
Just ordered a Bushman Delta Frost and been reading about how some
people treat them gently until they are "broken in".

Want to see what the opinion on this is amongst you guys. By breaking
in I assume something needs to wear-in or soften-up before it performs
correctly. But surely if something e.g. a reed, is "wearing-in" then
surely it won't have a very long lifespan in the longer term.

Just a thought, Blues Buddies. ( I know, I know you hate that).
Keith Adams
2007-10-01 02:51:04 UTC
I dont really know Salmon. I've owned a bunch of harps and never noticed a
difference in their longevity no matter how I broke them in. I'm easier on
reeds than most people I think? Take for instance Ben Bouman.. I've heard
him say that he likes to keep em right on the edge while playing. Meaning
right on the edge of the harps sound to start distorting.. Thats how he
gets his overdriven tone I believe? Its gotta be hard on the reeds though.
I'm probably the only one who doesnt like being called blues buddy salmon.
. I dont disrespect modern day blues musicians but dont think much of their
musical abilities though either.
Nate NZ Blues Radio
2007-10-01 08:58:31 UTC
I'm probably the only one who doesn't like being called blues buddy salmon.
I don't disrespect modern day blues musicians but don't think much of their
musical abilities though either.
Hi Adams, nice to know you're still your fine down home self : )
What do you mean by you "don't respect modern day blues musicians"?
ben bouman
2007-10-01 11:12:36 UTC
Hi Keith

Well, I never break my harps in but I'm not often playing on the edge (I
think)...
I may use a kind of an overdriven sound but not distorted ( I hope)..
I tend more to a softer attack but I have to admit that I customize every
harp that I play...!
Maybe by the end of the week my website will be launched but you can already
have a look at:

www.beta-harps.com

Ben Bouman
--
www.seydel1847.de
www.marbletones.com
T-Bone Bruce
2007-10-02 20:19:19 UTC
Post by Keith Adams
I dont really know Salmon. I've owned a bunch of harps and never noticed a
difference in their longevity no matter how I broke them in. I'm easier on
reeds than most people I think? Take for instance Ben Bouman.. I've heard
him say that he likes to keep em right on the edge while playing. Meaning
right on the edge of the harps sound to start distorting.. Thats how he
gets his overdriven tone I believe? Its gotta be hard on the reeds though.
I'm probably the only one who doesnt like being called blues buddy salmon.
. I dont disrespect modern day blues musicians but dont think much of
their musical abilities though either.- Hide quoted text -
I never "break them in" but I don't like to play with too much force.
Sometimes I do play the hell out of them with a loud band that you
can't get to turn down. But I've never blown a harp out in one set.
Most times harps last me for years.
Bruce
Nate NZ Blues Radio
2007-10-01 09:04:57 UTC
Salmon from my *little* experience a harmonica will become better in
tonal qualities as it's played.
Over time my harps get to their peak, performance wise, then after
that reeds go flat or eventually break or get tuned, which ever comes
first.

'Handle with care' is always my moto when using a new harmonica. it's
become somewhat ritualistic and I have several tunes I'll play on new
harmonicas while "breaking them in".

And i don't mind being called blues buddy - hell I've been called
worse : )
Harpman
2007-10-01 10:52:42 UTC
Post by salmon
Just ordered a Bushman Delta Frost and been reading about how some
people treat them gently until they are "broken in".
Want to see what the opinion on this is amongst you guys. By breaking
in I assume something needs to wear-in or soften-up before it performs
correctly. But surely if something e.g. a reed, is "wearing-in" then
surely it won't have a very long lifespan in the longer term.
Just a thought, Blues Buddies. ( I know, I know you hate that).
Hello, I have a number of Bushman Delta Frosts as they are my favorite
harp. Never spent any time breaking them in. Just played them straight
out of the box . Allen
salmon
2007-10-03 17:25:13 UTC
Received my Bushman Delta Frost today and it is so sweet. I'll report
on my findings just as soon as my swollen lips allow me to see my
keyboard properly. But so far - so good.
salmon
2007-10-03 20:38:00 UTC
That reminds me. There are still no takers for naming the following
tune tab. Surely you can't all be foxed by this one?

The first bit (3 4 5 6) is a slowish slide lingering on the 6 for
effect)

3 4 5 6 -5 5 -5 5 -4 -5

-5 6 -6 6 -5 5 -4 6

3 4 5 6 -5 5 -5 5 -4 -6

6 5 -4 4

7 7 7 7 -7 -7 -7

-6 -6 -6 -6 6 6 6

-6 -6 -6 -6 6 6 6

-5 5 -4 4 and repeat from the beginning.

Name this tune.
Jason G.
2007-10-05 12:06:33 UTC
RE: Name this tune
This is easy - Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White.

I am sure most people know the tune but few know the title. Crops up
often as a "Latin American" dance tune.

I think this my first post after lurking for years :-)

Regards,
Jason G.
7 7 7 7 -7 -7 -7
salmon
2007-10-05 17:22:41 UTC
Ah! Thanks Jason
I knew someone would come up with the goods.

You score ten points and the alt.music.harmonica award of the year for
getting it right on your first post. Waa Waa Woo.