Chromatic Harmonica 'marking bumps'
dave
2007-10-21 19:24:21 UTC
One of the dificulties of playing Chromatic Harmonica is 'knowing
where you are', particularly in the middle register -- in the low and
highest registers it's easier because you have the end of the harp as
a tactile cue to know (on a subconscious level) which hole your
playing.

I've often thought about adding little bumps right above the 5th and
9th holes to add this little tactile cue. I'm curious if any
chromatic players out there have heard of anyone doing this, or have
any suggestions about how to do it. The best I can think of is a
little drop of sodder or epoxy... though the toxic possibilities are a
bit frightening.
thanks,
Dave
Alexander Mcleod
Dave
Robert Reynolds
Dave
dave
2007-10-22 09:14:06 UTC
Post by dave
One of the dificulties of playing Chromatic Harmonica is 'knowing
where you are', particularly in the middle register -- in the low and
highest registers it's easier because you have the end of the harp as
a tactile cue to know (on a subconscious level) which hole your
playing.
I've often thought about adding little bumps right above the 5th and
9th holes to add this little tactile cue. I'm curious if any
chromatic players out there have heard of anyone doing this, or have
any suggestions about how to do it. The best I can think of is a
little drop of sodder or epoxy... though the toxic possibilities are a
bit frightening.
thanks,
Dave- Hide quoted text -
That's interesting idea -- to punch a little indenture... problem is
not to have it be scratchy or irritating to the upper lip.. just a
little different feel , like a marker
I use Toots Hard Bopper... I have an old one somewhere I'll have to
dig out and experiment with the front plate...
Robert Reynolds
2007-10-22 20:02:01 UTC
Post by dave
Post by Robert Reynolds
You could take the cover plate off and punch a dimple in the inside.
This would make a bump on the outside.
That's interesting idea -- to punch a little indenture... problem is
not to have it be scratchy or irritating to the upper lip.. just a
little different feel , like a marker
I use Toots Hard Bopper... I have an old one somewhere I'll have to
dig out and experiment with the front plate...
It wouldn't be scratchy. Just put the cover on a wood block and tap it
with a machinist's center punch. Not too hard, just enough to make a
pimple on the other side. You should be able to feel it with your lip,
kind of like the little tiny bumps to tell you when your fingers are in
the right place on the keyboard.
2007-10-22 18:18:40 UTC
Post by dave
One of the dificulties of playing Chromatic Harmonica is 'knowing
where you are', particularly in the middle register -- in the low and
highest registers it's easier because you have the end of the harp as
a tactile cue to know (on a subconscious level) which hole your
playing.
Yeah, 'specially on 16 holers. Although, when I start out on the right
hole I (almost) never need tactile (or other) cues to know where I am,
anymore. Starting out on the right hole is a problem for me though.
Especialy in the dark. That said, bumps or dimples sounds attractive
from a usability point of view. Implementing a non scratchy one will be
a challenge...

For blind people that want to lable stuff 'round the house there's
dimply stickers (single dimples, braille) that might be worth looking
into. That said maybe a small slice of an ordinary sticker will suffice?
Post by dave
I've often thought about adding little bumps right above the 5th and
9th holes to add this little tactile cue. I'm curious if any
chromatic players out there have heard of anyone doing this, or have
any suggestions about how to do it. The best I can think of is a
little drop of sodder or epoxy... though the toxic possibilities are a
bit frightening.
thanks,
Dave
This NG seems to have a diatonic emphasis. You could ask your question
on slidemeister forums (http://www.slidemeister.com/forums). Chances you
meet someone who modified his chromatic in a similar way are somewhat
higher over there. I'm curious what they'll come up with ...

cheers, M

(yeah, e-mail address is quite a fake)
Jim Greenwald
2007-10-23 07:58:28 UTC
Hi Dave
Many ears ago when I tried to give the chrom a shot, I thought the same
thing and used a little bud of beeswax. Just where you mentioned - where the
'double' Cs were. Try it and see if it works for you. The wax stayed on
pretty good. Good luck to you.
Cheers,
Staggerin' Jim
[Listen to Roots Harmonica on Live365 at
http://www.live365.com/stations/staggerinjim ]
Dave
milwaukee slim
2007-10-25 12:20:07 UTC
I marked the double middle Cs with a thin strip of electrical tape. I
could even see it on my sixteen holer. That way when I sang and came
back to the harp I had a visual I could even see it when I was
playing. After a while I painted a thin stripe on the double Cs

Slim