Recording on a shoestring
Chromatonic
2007-11-13 23:24:14 UTC
I'm looking to record for promotional (demo) purposes. I have Audacity
on my PC, but no PA, Mixer, USB input - just the Mic in that's built-
in to my laptop. Any suggestions as to how I can get good results with
what I have, or with a minimum of ca$h outlay?
Robert Reynolds
2007-11-14 00:08:36 UTC
What kind of computer are you running? We were using a 1998 PC until
last fall when we bought a new Dell. It came with a good sound card and
lots of USB ports. If you're running an old machine, you'd probably be
better off replacing it than upgrading it.

You might also check out the nifty digital recording decks you can get
at Musician's Friend. I used to see Teac units for well under 50 bucks
in the Kansas City clearance center all the time, where they sell
returned and damaged merchandise. Check out their scratch and dent
section online, or just look at their new stuff, some of which is pretty
affordable. You can get multi track capability, XLR and 1/4" inputs,
mixing functions, and even some effects. When you get the song close to
how you want it, then you load it to your PC. (You'll likely need a USB
port for that.)

At a minimum you probably want to see if you can plug in a separate
microphone to your computer. If you have a 1/8" input, go to Radio
Shack and they'll sell you an adapter to go from 1/8 to 1/4. I did this
with my old computer and recorded my bullet microphone straight into the
computer using Windows Sound Recorder. It sounded surprisingly good.
That was before I had Audacity. Now that you have me thinking about it,
I ought to go back and record some more tracks to see what I can do now
that I have a good mixing program.
Chromatonic
2007-11-14 14:36:33 UTC
Robert,
Thanks for the tips.
I have a recent model Dell, (XP) with USB & Firewire inputs.
I probably don't have enough RAM for serious recording.
I'm using the 1/8" input with a decent dynamic mic, but
haven't started really isolating tracks & don't seem to be
able to get a good sound unless recording one instrument at a time.
Also having trouble getting a decent sound out of the reverb patches
included with Audacity.
I have gotten good results mic'ing my Harp amp, but can't get vocals
sound good.
I'd like to be able to record rehearsals, but don't seem to be
able to get a decent-sounding recording when trying to record all
instruments at once through the single mic.
Post by Chromatonic
I'm looking to record for promotional (demo) purposes.
<SNIP>
Robert Reynolds
2007-11-14 17:12:45 UTC
If you want to record live rehearsals I think you'll have to use
multiple microphones. Otherwise you would have to physically arrange
everybody properly in the room to get the best range to achieve proper
balance. This is nearly impossible with a computer microphone.

The digital recording units I mentioned that I saw at Musician's Friend
had multiple XLR inputs. It would take a few dollars to get it done,
but you could put 3 or 4 microphones around the room and get a pretty
good mix with that kind of equipment.

If your computer doesn't have enough RAM for serious recording you will
want to use an independent device and dump it onto the computer when you
have it all recorded. I haven't gotten into it this far yet myself, but
it seems to me that if you're running something that exceeds your
computer's capabilities it will start skipping.
Chromatonic
Robert Reynolds
2007-11-15 00:37:12 UTC
Thank you for getting me to think more about this stuff. I've done only
a small amount of sound recording and editing on the computer and I'm no
expert. But you're helping me formulate my own thoughts about it, and
you're encouraging me to get some digital recording gear myself, with
multiple inputs and mixing capabilities.
Butcherknife
2007-11-15 20:40:06 UTC
Post by Robert Reynolds
Thank you for getting me to think more about this stuff. I've done only
a small amount of sound recording and editing on the computer and I'm no
expert. But you're helping me formulate my own thoughts about it, and
you're encouraging me to get some digital recording gear myself, with
multiple inputs and mixing capabilities.
The Art Tube Mp is a good mic pre-amp that works well
with a computer and will get a nice recording.

you can use Audacity for your recording software.

you'll need a decent mic for recording computer mic's
just want do it.
--
Lop some Boogie