sound clips with Fat Dog 1A and Maestro side by side
Robert Reynolds
2008-02-16 20:02:03 UTC
I just posted some sound clips on my website featuring the prototype of
the new Fat Dog 1A amp.

The Fat Dog in the clips had a single 10 inch speaker, and the Maestro
is in a 4x8 cabinet. In the second clip you can hear these two amps
trading licks.

http://fatdogamps.harmonicagear.com/sounds.html

Click on the top link to Jimmie and Lee trying out the amp at BB's
Barbecue in Kansas City.
Keith Adams
2008-02-17 06:17:10 UTC
I know its no easy thing to get a good recording of a live performance but
I didnt like how either amp sounded. Yours had a slight edge but I think
that was due to it using a 1x10" instead of 4x8". I hope you have good
success with your amp and probably will. Most harp players these days like
that no note definitation,ripped speaker sound. I aint one of em.
Barbecue in Kansas City.
Robert Reynolds
2008-02-17 07:41:38 UTC
I have good news for you, Keith. I have installed a program on my
computer that automatically generates cynical messages whenever anybody
mentions amplifiers, the blues, or any type of overdrive, so you can get
some rest.

Seriously, thanks for your encouragement. I have gotten excellent
response from everybody who has tried the amps or heard them at a show.
The only problem I have is the lack of a longstanding reputation.
It looks as though the smaller products just might get the ball rolling
for me. So far so good.
Barbecue in Kansas City.
RawFoodGuy
2008-02-17 13:08:40 UTC
Post by Robert Reynolds
I just posted some sound clips on my website featuring the prototype of
the new Fat Dog 1A amp.
The Fat Dog in the clips had a single 10 inch speaker, and the Maestro
is in a 4x8 cabinet. In the second clip you can hear these two amps
trading licks.
http://fatdogamps.harmonicagear.com/sounds.html
Click on the top link to Jimmie and Lee trying out the amp at BB's
Barbecue in Kansas City.
very nice clips Rob...great tone. i especially like the compairosn
with the Maestro, and think your amp comes out just slightly on top!

- Robert
Robert Reynolds
2008-02-17 16:30:10 UTC
Post by RawFoodGuy
very nice clips Rob...great tone. i especially like the compairosn
with the Maestro, and think your amp comes out just slightly on top!
- Robert
Thanks. The CD includes the entire second set of a two-set show, a
total of 8 songs. Lee plays a chromatic on the 7th song and sounds
awesome doing it, and the last song is one of his up-tempo show closers.
I'm pretty sure Jimmie and Lee traded amps on these two, but I have to
ask Jimmie to be sure. Anyway, as soon as I get the facts straightened
out I'll post some clips from these songs.

About the amp, the cabinet is only 16 x 16 x 6 inches and weighs 16
pounds. It has the same preamp as the Model 2A and 4A, a single 6L6,
and a 12 inch speaker. I want to sell the amp for about $400 so
everybody can afford a great sounding amp. The first batch will go at
this price, and then I'll analyze the costs and see if I have to adjust
the price a little bit.
RawFoodGuy
2008-02-18 13:26:56 UTC
Post by Robert Reynolds
Post by RawFoodGuy
very nice clips Rob...great tone. i especially like the compairosn
with the Maestro, and think your amp comes out just slightly on top!
- Robert
I think you may be right...these smaller models, and the mini amp, may
just give you the boost you are looking for. They'll definitely be the
best custom harp amps on the market for the money, and compare well
with amps that cost twice as much! You are on to a good thing and have
my prayers and best wishes that you do well...very well. The harp
community needs someone like you and should acknowledge what you are
bringing - your commitment to tone at a price that regular harp
players like me can actually afford! I love your desgin philosophy, as
well as my FatDog 2A 4x10!

By the way Rob, do you think I could drive my original 2x8+1x12
cabinet with the Vega amp chassis I told you about (2 6L6s and Jensen
C12R - I don't know the impedance of the C12R or my original 2A
enclosure)?

Robert