Sound
Tony
2008-02-08 11:54:48 UTC
OK Harpman wants some discussion.

I normally play sax in a Rock 'n' Roll band but for 1 number (at the moment)
I play harp. I normally blow through an SM58 which is also used for backing
vocals. Now the band want a "dirtier" sound, any recommendations? I can't
afford to buy alot of new kit.

Tony (Blues score 851)
Mr Nilsson
2008-02-08 12:41:17 UTC
you need to run the mic into an amp or through some kind of box, like
a behringer mic200 with a swapped tube or one of those special harp
boxes (harp commander?)
Tony (Blues score 851)
Tony

Tony (Blues score 851)
Eric Stahl
2008-02-09 07:20:17 UTC
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:54:48 -0000, "Tony" <zootgs11r at tiscali dot co
Post by Tony
OK Harpman wants some discussion.
I normally play sax in a Rock 'n' Roll band but for 1 number (at the moment)
I play harp. I normally blow through an SM58 which is also used for backing
vocals. Now the band want a "dirtier" sound, any recommendations? I can't
afford to buy alot of new kit.
Tony (Blues score 851)
Once you start down that road, money will be spent :-)

Everyone will have an opinion of what sounds best. My advice for
combining cost and quality in a tube amp would be a Kalamazoo (Gibson)
Model One or Two amp (mid-1960's with tubes, not the later IC design)
and any mic shell with a Shure Dynamic CM or CR element in it. Then
run your SM58 from in front of the amp into the club PA. The
Kalamazoo's a good sounding amp and is usually found on eBay.

Listen to sound clips online first cause it is a personal opinion as
to what'll sound good.

Take a listen to the Fat Dog Mini-Amp sound clips (Robbie thinks it'll
be available in March) at:
http://www.fatdogamps.harmonicagear.com/
http://www.fatdogamps.harmonicagear.com/mini_amp.html

Robbie has good sounding amps.

The Harp Commander that was mentioned is nice, and if you find one
used it'll might cost about the same as the Kalamazoo and a CM/CR.
There are no tubes in the Harp Commander - but it does a good job. The
Harp Commander III is available new, online.

-Eric
Tony
2008-02-09 14:55:46 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
Hi Eric

thanks for your reply, I'm just looking for as many comments, views as
possible at the moment, for tonight I'm going to run through a Yamaha ST5
wind controller.

Regards

Tony
Robert Reynolds
2008-02-09 18:21:33 UTC
Post by Eric Stahl
Take a listen to the Fat Dog Mini-Amp sound clips (Robbie thinks it'll
http://www.fatdogamps.harmonicagear.com/
http://www.fatdogamps.harmonicagear.com/mini_amp.html
Thanks for mentioning my name. The sheet metal guy just told me a
couple of days ago that they will give me a quote by the end of the
week. Well, the end of the week came and went with no quote, but I'll
probably get one some time next week. Once I give them the go-ahead,
I'll likely have the cases in 4 to 6 weeks, which means I'm still on
target for March.

I can vary the amount of crunch in the Mini Amp by changing the value of
a couple of resistors. When I start taking orders I could offer clean,
medium or super crunch, depending on what the customer wants. This
could potentially turn into too much trouble, but I'm thinking about it....
John Agosta
2008-02-09 19:07:57 UTC
When I start taking orders I could offer clean, medium or super crunch,
depending on what the customer wants.
You should have a setting for "Captain Crunch."

(couldn't resist)

Hope u r doing well, Rob !

-ja