weekend in KC
Robert Reynolds
2008-04-15 01:42:35 UTC
I just thought I'd share a pretty good weekend with you guys. I had to
go to Kansas City for some unrelated business, and I took advantage of
the opportunity to attend a wedding reception. I really hate weddings,
and wedding receptions are usually not much better. But this one was
different. The groom was Brandon Hudspeth, the guitar player for a band
called Levee Town. Levee Town was in the top ten finals at the
International Blues Challenge in Memphis last year. The bride was
Danielle Schnebelen of the band Trampled Under Foot, winners of this
year's Blues Challenge. I used to play with both of these bands at
their weekly jam sessions until I moved away. They're all really good
people.

Naturally, a wedding reception for two hard core blues nuts is going to
be a little bit different. Brandon and Danielle hired Lee McBee and the
Confessors as the evening's entertainment and had the reception at a
local blues club. It felt a lot like going to a gig at a bar, with lots
of good musicians sitting in, including the bride and groom and members
of their bands, among others. And as an added bonus for me, I got to
hear Lee McBee and Jimmie Meade make a Fat Dog amp sound really good.
Lee told me that he recorded a couple of tracks for an upcoming album
using my amp and a Valco at the same time, and his chromatic sounds like
a baritone sax. I can't wait to hear it. He was using the same setup
saturday night and it sounded great.

It was a lot of fun catching up with old friends from the blues
community in Kansas City. I hadn't realized how much I miss the music
scene. I stayed up until 2 in the morning and breathed way too much
second hand smoke, but it was a great time.
Mark McDonald
2008-04-15 16:11:47 UTC
Sounds like a blast in KC, my old home town. Lee McBee is one of my
favorites. That reception sounds a lot like heaven. Way cool.
--
Mark McDonald
***@sonic.net
http://www.myspace.com/markmcdonaldblues
Bandit
2008-04-15 20:47:02 UTC
Sounds like a blast in KC, my old home town.  Lee McBee is one of my
favorites.   That reception sounds a lot like heaven.  Way cool.
--
Mark McDonald
Sounds great Robbie, as you know I caught all of them at BB's the
weekend before. Great Blue's overload for sure.

Jack
Robert Reynolds
2008-04-21 06:25:19 UTC
Here's a youtube video of the last song of the night, with Danielle
singing in her wedding dress.

Incidentally, harp amplification was a Fat Dog Model 1A and Valco together.
Eric Stahl
2008-04-21 07:02:09 UTC
Post by Robert Reynolds
Here's a youtube video of the last song of the night, with Danielle
singing in her wedding dress. http://youtu.be/Uc-dMz8HgEo
Incidentally, harp amplification was a Fat Dog Model 1A and Valco together.
That sounds like a fun wedding reception

-Eric