How to start playing?
Steen Jensen
2008-04-27 08:42:58 UTC
I play in a band but would like to spice up the act but learning to play
the harmonica.
Any tips on how to get started - what harp (key) to get etc?
RPM1
2008-04-27 17:10:31 UTC
Post by Steen Jensen
I play in a band but would like to spice up the act but learning to play
the harmonica.
Any tips on how to get started - what harp (key) to get etc?
It depends on what type of music you are playing. The key of harmonica also
depends on what songs you are playing and what style.

For example, if you are going to play some blues in the key of E, you might
want to use a harmonica in the key of A and play "cross harp". If you are
going to play some rock in the key of D you might want to play "slant harp"
which would mean you would use a harmonica in the key of C.

Be aware that while it's easy to make some noise with a harmonica, it can
take years to sound good on harmonica.

Patrick
jeffb
2008-04-27 17:50:10 UTC
I'm also just starting out having played another instrument for many
years. There are a lot of great resources out there but I'd have to say
that nothing has been as useful to me as lessons with a good player.
I've also found Adam Gussow's Youtube secrets of the harmonica revealed
clips VERY helpful. Definitely check them out:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=KudzuRunner&page=8
Steen Jensen
2008-04-27 18:00:03 UTC
Post by jeffb
I'm also just starting out having played another instrument for many
years. There are a lot of great resources out there but I'd have to say
that nothing has been as useful to me as lessons with a good player.
I've also found Adam Gussow's Youtube secrets of the harmonica revealed
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=KudzuRunner&page=8
Thanks to both.
I play bluesrock/hardrock - so I guess it's just to get a harp in E or
A, and blow my lungs out ;-/
jeffb
2008-04-27 18:26:16 UTC
Post by Steen Jensen
Post by jeffb
I'm also just starting out having played another instrument for many
years. There are a lot of great resources out there but I'd have to say
that nothing has been as useful to me as lessons with a good player.
I've also found Adam Gussow's Youtube secrets of the harmonica revealed
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=KudzuRunner&page=8
Thanks to both.
I play bluesrock/hardrock - so I guess it's just to get a harp in E or
A, and blow my lungs out ;-/
Probly want to be playing crossharp for that and get a D harp to play in
the guitar key of A and an A harp to play in the guitar key of E. Doing
this will give you a more bluesy Dom7 chord sound rather than a happy
Maj7 chord sound. If you have a good player around take a lesson.
There's a lot of simple stuff he can show you to get started that will
take you a loooooong time to figure out on your own.
salmon
2008-04-27 18:57:56 UTC
If you are just starting out I'd recommend getting just the one harp
for now in the key of C.

Most of the tutorial books and CD's are written for the key of C if
you choose to follow that route.

You can then try it for a while to see if you're going to persevere
with it before going to too much expense and buying harps in the other
keys.
Steen Jensen
2008-04-27 20:11:55 UTC
Post by salmon
If you are just starting out I'd recommend getting just the one harp
for now in the key of C.
Most of the tutorial books and CD's are written for the key of C if
you choose to follow that route.
You can then try it for a while to see if you're going to persevere
with it before going to too much expense and buying harps in the other
keys.
Thanks for all the good advice from all of you ;-)