Hohner Silver Star modification
Elmo' 7#9
2007-12-14 01:59:10 UTC
I bought a Hohner Silver Star because I'd left my regular harp at home.

When I got it out of the box, it was hard to play and I was losing air.

I noticed that the Silver Star's comb protrudes a couple of millimetres
beyond the faceplates (not flush-fitting, like a Marine Band) and this was
breaking the air seal under my lips.

My suspicious mind was already pondering...

"Do Hohner deliberately make their cheap harps less than ideal to play so
that you'll always buy a top-of-the-line model at 3 times the price?"

Anyway...

I laid a piece of 120 grit sandpaper on top of a flat surface and removed
enough material for the front of the comb to be nearly flush with the
plates.

After a careful rinsing-out (who wants to inhale granular plastic?) my
embouchre was restored and the Silver Star was as easy to play as a Marine
Band.

I took out the roughness of the 120 grit by using finer grades of paper till
the front of the comb was smooth.

I also had to remove burrs from the edges of the holes
(using a jeweller's file) to get a smooth, playable surface next to my lips.

If you decide to do this to YOUR cheap harp - be careful not to remove so
much of the comb front that the faceplates are exposed (you'll look pretty
funny tryin' to play harp with sliced lips!).

Elmo' 7#9
Keith Adams
2007-12-15 21:41:57 UTC
Elmo. The reeds need to be gapped. Hohners are terrible when it comes to out
of the box playing. Also. If Hohners making Marine Bands that have flush
with the cover reedplates then its news to me? They've always been terrible
for sticking out. Cost has nothing to do with Hohners air tightness. I've
bought Cross Harps that were so bad that they were nearly unplayable before
gapping the reeds. Same with the Golden Melodies. Neither are a cheap harp.
I've also bought Hohners with holes burned through the reeds due to their
lazer tuning ( I guess)?
Elmo' 7#9
Elmo' 7#9
2007-12-16 01:40:41 UTC
Post by Keith Adams
Elmo. The reeds need to be gapped. Hohners are terrible when it comes to out
of the box playing.
Good advice

I've gapped, arced and embossed the reeds of cheap harmonicas
with good results.

One of my favourite harps is a £4 Jambone
that I used as a testbed for all the modifications listed at
overblow.com (what an excellent resource that is!)

It was pointless doing any of that stuff to the Silver Star
until the main source of the hissing escaping air was addressed.
Post by Keith Adams
Also. If Hohners making Marine Bands that have flush
with the cover reedplates then its news to me?
You've misread me there.

The flaw with the Silver Star is that the front of the square-section COMB
protrudes beyond the COVER plates.

So there's a 2mm ridge, breaking your embouchre,
rendering your playing weak and uncontrollable
from the air that's escaping from the sides of your mouth.
Post by Keith Adams
Cost has nothing to do with Hohners air tightness. I've
bought Cross Harps that were so bad that they were nearly unplayable before
gapping the reeds. Same with the Golden Melodies. Neither are a cheap harp.
It's a pity that you can't buy a harp in guaranteed EXCELLENT playing
condition.

Still, it's understandable that most harmonica purchasers
wouldn't benefit from a costly manual setup that their (current) level of
technique
doesn't demand.

Like with budget guitars,
an acceptable setup is one that doesn't actually INJURE
the player within the first minute.
Anything more elaborate would offend the principles of price-point
manufacturing.

Luckily for us, with a little work, cheap harps are salvageable
(as are dear harps, poorly manufactured!).
Post by Keith Adams
I've also bought Hohners with holes burned through the reeds due to their
lazer tuning ( I guess)?
Now THERE'S a case for returning the goods - never mind the hygiene laws -
that's plain defective!

Elmo' 7#9
Keith Adams
2007-12-16 10:44:18 UTC
If the comb is breaking your seal then you might try putting the harp deeper
into your mouth Elmo? It can really help your tone as well. For playing
single notes you can always adjust the harp in or out of your mouth as
needed.
Elmo' 7#9
Elmo' 7#9
2007-12-16 20:33:14 UTC
Post by Keith Adams
If the comb is breaking your seal then you might try putting the harp deeper
into your mouth Elmo?
Not without losing single-note focus.

I use lip blocking exclusively
(unless I'm trying to eliminate the middle notes in a chord).

Alter the instrument to suit your technique,
not the other way round ;=)

Elmo' 7#9

BigZ
Elmo' 7#9
Elmo' 7#9
2007-12-16 20:19:55 UTC
Post by BigZ
From China buy only Huang, Huang is quite good harp.
I'll look into it.

I only bought a cheap Hohner because I needed a harp, quick, and that's what
the shop had.

Elmo'.