Playing harmonica while driving
t***@yahoo.com
2008-05-02 14:30:00 UTC
Hi.

Newbie here. For the past two months, when I am sitting still in
traffic, I reach over and grab my harmonica (Hohner Pro and a
Chrometta). I can now play a single note and tongue block either
side. Looking on the intertube, I found people who play a diatonic
harmonica chromatically, which blew my mind. After gapping the reeds
I was still having trouble doing some bends, but recently learned
that holes 1-6 only draw bend, and 7-10 only blow bend. That seemed
to explain my experience.

If I understand correctly, there are some notes that will always be
missing on my Hohner Pro. I would like to purchase a diatonic
harmonica that, with bends, could produce all the notes in the scale.
From what I have read, the XB40 or the valved Promaster might be what
I want. I am leaning towards the Promaster since I have read that the
XB40 is sometimes hard to bend a half step (it wants to bend a whole
step or more).

I would love to hear any comments.

Thanks.
Harpman
2008-05-02 17:54:57 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
Hi.
Newbie here. For the past two months, when I am sitting still in
traffic, I reach over and grab my harmonica (Hohner Pro and a
Chrometta). I can now play a single note and tongue block either
side. Looking on the intertube, I found people who play a diatonic
harmonica chromatically, which blew my mind. After gapping the reeds
I was still having trouble doing some bends, but recently learned
that holes 1-6 only draw bend, and 7-10 only blow bend. That seemed
to explain my experience.
If I understand correctly, there are some notes that will always be
missing on my Hohner Pro. I would like to purchase a diatonic
harmonica that, with bends, could produce all the notes in the scale.
From what I have read, the XB40 or the valved Promaster might be what
I want. I am leaning towards the Promaster since I have read that the
XB40 is sometimes hard to bend a half step (it wants to bend a whole
step or more).
I would love to hear any comments.
Thanks.
Suzuki Promaster valved- a great harp but quite expensive. Own one in
the key of A. Allen
John Agosta
2008-05-03 02:03:07 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
Hi.
Newbie here. For the past two months, when I am sitting still in
traffic, I reach over and grab my harmonica (Hohner Pro and a
Chrometta). I can now play a single note and tongue block either
side. Looking on the intertube, I found people who play a diatonic
harmonica chromatically, which blew my mind. After gapping the reeds
I was still having trouble doing some bends, but recently learned
that holes 1-6 only draw bend, and 7-10 only blow bend. That seemed
to explain my experience.
If I understand correctly, there are some notes that will always be
missing on my Hohner Pro. I would like to purchase a diatonic
harmonica that, with bends, could produce all the notes in the scale.
From what I have read, the XB40 or the valved Promaster might be what
I want. I am leaning towards the Promaster since I have read that the
XB40 is sometimes hard to bend a half step (it wants to bend a whole
step or more).
I would love to hear any comments.
Thanks.
Suzuki Promaster valved- a great harp but quite expensive. Own one in the
key of A. Allen
I am sick of seeing dolts on the cell phone while in a car.
I'd rather take my chances with drunks on the highway;
at least you can tell they are impaired.

Don't play your harp in the car.
Just drive, man. Just drive.

-lock

A motocyclist who has been lucky enough to spot, and avoid, hundreds of
DOLTS
who probably all think they are doing fine, but are not.
Steen Jensen
2008-05-03 08:41:33 UTC
Post by John Agosta
I am sick of seeing dolts on the cell phone while in a car.
I'd rather take my chances with drunks on the highway;
at least you can tell they are impaired.
Don't play your harp in the car.
Just drive, man. Just drive.
very good advice.
I think there is a new law coming up (in Denmark, where I live) that
will cancel your drivers licence, if you're caught talking on the phone
3 times - while driving.

Safety first, gentlemen ;-)
RawFoodGuy
2008-05-03 14:01:41 UTC
Post by Steen Jensen
Post by John Agosta
I am sick of seeing dolts on the cell phone while in a car.
I'd rather take my chances with drunks on the highway;
at least you can tell they are impaired.
Don't play your harp in the car.
Just drive, man. Just drive.
very good advice.
I think there is a new law coming up (in Denmark, where I live) that
will cancel your drivers licence, if you're caught talking on the phone
3 times - while driving.
Safety first, gentlemen ;-)
My first thought on this thread is - save your money! Those are some
darned expensive harps man, and you haven't even learned enough yet to
justify going that way. You just learned how to blow single notes, so
don't blame the harp. Your Hohner Pro can do everything you need when
you learn how to coax it to get two or three bends on some holes, plus
overblows. Any diatonic harp can play a full chromatic scale when you
learn how to bend properly. Though it is a bit easier to get all the
bends on some harps than others, they all do it. Your problem is not
the equipment, it is just that you are still learning how to play.
Though XB40's are designed only to make it easier to bend, I have even
heard some very good players complain about XB40's or Promasters for
other reasons. That isn't the answer - YOU are the answer.

You see, take it from me - a gear addict - fancier harps, vintage mics
or boutique amps won't make you a better player. So instead of buying
that expensive harp that you don't YET have the skills to play, spend
some of that hard earned cash on Jerry Portnoy's harmonica masterclass
CD set - he is one of the greats, is a brilliant teacher and has the
best lessons on bending techniques I've heard. Fortunately for you,
there is a set on eBay right now, so you can save a bit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jerry-Portnoys-Blues-Harmonica-Masterclass-CD_W0QQitemZ250241916870QQihZ015QQcategoryZ47080QQcmdZViewItem

On that other note, the first time I studied Portnoy's CD's was in my
car. I don't have much time to practice during the day right now, and
the car is the best place for me. Fortunately, I am a damned good
driver, and smart enough to know when not to drive and play at the
same time - but done judicisously it is not unsafe - I haven't killed
anyone in weeks!

There are people who don't do anything else but drive the car, and
they are still dolts. Of course, they are even worse if they get
distracted. But driving itself can become a distraction if you let it.
Anything can. There are people who are so afraid that they drive too
carefully - and too slowly - and one well known statistic is that
people who drive too slow cause more accidents than people who drive
too fast because other drivers do stupid things trying to get around
them. Driving can also get hypnotic, especially on long trips, which
can cause accidents. That is why I keep a special little holder for my
harps right between the seats. I bought this holder in a car parts
store - it is designed with a piece that hangs down and fits snugly
between the seats, and is intended to hold stuff lik cigarettes or
pens, I don't know - but it holds 6 harps on-end perfectly.

I play along with CD's or the Blues Channel on Sirius all the time. I
even have a Pignose amp on the front seat and a little vintage Calrad
mic to play amplified in the car and really blow my heart out if I
want to. In traffic jams, it is the best! It also keeps me awake on
long drives. At stoplights I can use both hands and wail. I know
enough to put the harp down when the driving gets too complex to
negotiate safely. SO it isn't any less safe I suspect than drinking
from my water bottle or a cup of coffee while driving - and a lot
safer than chomping down on a messy Big Mac, pugting on lipstick (not
something I do myself, at least not yet) or something. I also talk on
the phone when I drive using a BlueTooth headset and voice dialing,
which also isn't any less safe than talking to someone in the back
seat. I think it is more important to learn how to be a good driver
regardless of what is going on around you. A good driver is constantly
facing all kinds of distractions on the road, from a beautiful blond
crossing the street to loud music on the radio or loud passengers in
the seat next to you to people driving erratically and cutting you off
and even drunk drivers. It is also well known that changing radio
stations or CD's while driving causes accidents (Google it), pssobly
as many as cell phones, and certainly many more than harp playing,
statistically speaking,

I don't trust the so called studies that say cell phone increase risk
of accidents. When you check them out you find out that they don't
have any way of creating a control group of people that don't get into
accidents while using a phone that is comparable to the people people
who did - too many variables to control. They just went into hospitals
and found people who had accidents and then checked to see if they
were using a cell phone - well, of course a certain percentage of them
were these days since everyone has one now. It is a bit like studying
the risk of tomatoes on heart attacks. When you study a group of
people who recently had a heart attack, sure 'nuff, a large percentage
of them had eaten tomatoes, or tomato sauce, just before their cardiac
event! So you better stop eating tomatoes and pizza. You probably
have more chance of dying from brain cancer caused by cell phones -
but try to get the powers that be to study that!

Guess I am in a rambling mood today.Sorry 'bout that!
- Robert
www.RawFoodLife.com
jeffb
2008-05-03 16:15:00 UTC
Post by John Agosta
I am sick of seeing dolts on the cell phone while in a car.
I'd rather take my chances with drunks on the highway;
at least you can tell they are impaired.
Actually there are studies that seem to indicate talking on a cell phone
impairs the ability to focus on the task at hand in a very similar
manner to a few beers. It has to do with the brain wanting to visualize
the person on the other end of the line. It's not just driving either. I
get idiots all the time at work talking on their phones who are
completely and utterly oblivious to the fact they are about to get run
over by heavily loaded rolling carts or that they have stopped right
under an overhead hazard.
Post by John Agosta
Don't play your harp in the car.
Just drive, man. Just drive.
A motorcycle is the only vehicle I own and I ride it everyday in city
traffic. I very strongly agree that when driving yer car you shouldn't
play yer harp, talk on a cell phone, read a map or do anything other
than devote all yer attention to DRIVING YOUR CAR.

Trying to practice like this won't do you a lot of good anyway. Anyone
who has seriously practiced any instrument will tell you 5 minutes of
FOCUSED practice is MUCH more beneficial than an hour of practice with
yer mind on other things. It also won't be too beneficial to yer harp
playing to have an irate motorcyclist jam that new Promaster up yer ass
after you drift into his lane and cut him off.
Keith Adams
jeffb
2008-05-06 05:55:47 UTC
Post by Keith Adams
If you cant play the harp while driving and still be perfectly safe then you
shouldnt be driving at all.
I've been a very serious musician for 35 years and I'm calling bullshit
on this. If you're not giving complete attention to your instrument
while you practice you're wanking. Same goes for driving. I said it
before but since you didn't get it I'll say it again because it's a
fundamental and extremely important concept for all musicians to
understand:
You will make infinitely more forward progression practicing 5 minutes a
day with COMPLETE attention than you will during an hour of distracted
practice.

Part of what's important about this is actually learning HOW to give
complete attention to playing and practicing. Ever hear a player with
phenomenal chops who didn't have much to say? How 'bout a player with
limited chops who could make you cry with just a few notes? It's *all*
about paying attention...or not.

If you're too busy to find time to practice for real then you simply
don't have time to play a musical instrument. "Practicing" while driving
a car is worthless and dangerous. Don't do it.
John Agosta
2008-05-06 15:34:10 UTC
Your opinion leads to me beleive that you are probably one of the Dolts who
thinks he is doing fine driving while talking on the cell phone, but isn't.
t***@yahoo.com
2008-05-07 15:11:22 UTC
Post by Keith Adams
If you cant play the harp while driving and still be perfectly safe then
you shouldnt be driving at all.
OK, so with an adjusted diatonic and practice I should be able to get
all or most of the notes. Then I will stick with my Hohner Pro Harp
and just keep practicing. I did some reed adjustment and can now draw
or blow bend most of the notes now. I have never been able to
overblow a note, so there is another goal to work toward. I can play
Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring in C, except for this one low A. Just
can't bend that B down far enough yet.

Also I have found that practicing with a blind fold helps me
concentrate on the tone. A lot of people honk, but my tone is getting
better.

Thanks.
John Agosta
2008-05-07 15:55:42 UTC
<***@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2c8f9f2b-e46a-463e-86ab-***@a23g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

. A lot of people honk, but my tone is getting
Post by t***@yahoo.com
better.
That's a good one !
steve haines
2008-12-23 23:39:51 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
. A lot of people honk, but my tone is getting
Post by t***@yahoo.com
better.
That's a good one !
On the issue of driving and playing a harp.
Before we had cell phones there were always people with dispatch radios,
ham rigs, and CB's in there cars, trucks, and even motorcycles. Now that
we have I pod's, Gps,s and ofcourse the cell phone to ad to the mix your
favorite vehicle for travel can become a dangerous pit of life taking
land mines if we let it get out of control. the motorcycles are rather
sensitive about the subject because they don,t have a steal cage around
them for that extra layer of protection. gadgets are finding there way
on to motorcycles such as Gps's, Ham radios, I pod's, and cell phones.
Motorcyclists could find themselves over a guard rail if they had enough
distractions. Playing a harmonica on the road might not get you quality
practice time. use your common sense while on the road and please leave
the motorcycles some wiggle room to maneuver while driving in your cager.
Tim Finnegan
2008-12-24 07:28:17 UTC
I know that playing while driving is not the greatest safety practice, but
geeze while commuting an hour min, to and from work I got some serious
practice time in and advanced leaps and bounds. It less distracting than
talking on a mobile.

I have enjoyed monitoring this group all year and thank those who have
contributed.

I wish you all a merry Christmas and a prosperous new year.

Tim
Milwaukee Slim
2008-05-03 11:54:34 UTC
If you learn how to overblow and over bend you can acheive a full chromatic
scale. Check out Howard Levy he is the best at this. You have to set the
harp up but if you use a blow bend techinque one the lower notes. The blow
reed gets choked out and the draw reed fires wth the air moving in the
opposite direction and a new note is born, and visa versa on the high notes.
In this link he is playing some arabic music.

Milwaukee Slim
Post by t***@yahoo.com
Hi.
Newbie here. For the past two months, when I am sitting still in
traffic, I reach over and grab my harmonica (Hohner Pro and a
Chrometta). I can now play a single note and tongue block either
side. Looking on the intertube, I found people who play a diatonic
harmonica chromatically, which blew my mind. After gapping the reeds
I was still having trouble doing some bends, but recently learned
that holes 1-6 only draw bend, and 7-10 only blow bend. That seemed
to explain my experience.
If I understand correctly, there are some notes that will always be
missing on my Hohner Pro. I would like to purchase a diatonic
harmonica that, with bends, could produce all the notes in the scale.
From what I have read, the XB40 or the valved Promaster might be what
Thanks.
Milwaukee Slim
2008-05-16 10:52:08 UTC
Sorry
The chart got messed up in the send
go to http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/Harpscript.html
and don't change any settings and hit the display layout button
Post by Milwaukee Slim
If you learn how to overblow and over bend you can acheive a full
chromatic scale. Check out Howard Levy he is the best at this. You have
to set the harp up but if you use a blow bend techinque one the lower
notes. The blow reed gets choked out and the draw reed fires wth the air
moving in the opposite direction and a new note is born, and visa versa on
the high notes. In this link he is playing some arabic music.
http://youtu.be/u2klBmIbXR0
Milwaukee Slim
Post by t***@yahoo.com
Hi.
Newbie here. For the past two months, when I am sitting still in
traffic, I reach over and grab my harmonica (Hohner Pro and a
Chrometta). I can now play a single note and tongue block either
side. Looking on the intertube, I found people who play a diatonic
harmonica chromatically, which blew my mind. After gapping the reeds
I was still having trouble doing some bends, but recently learned
that holes 1-6 only draw bend, and 7-10 only blow bend. That seemed
to explain my experience.
If I understand correctly, there are some notes that will always be
missing on my Hohner Pro. I would like to purchase a diatonic
harmonica that, with bends, could produce all the notes in the scale.
From what I have read, the XB40 or the valved Promaster might be what