new topic-Gigs!
Harpman
2009-06-09 23:12:12 UTC
Hey everyone, I have been performing publicly with a guitarist/vocalist
for 1 year. My question is -how can one get gigs easier then we have
been trying. I must spend 2-3 hrs. a day on the internet looking at
craigslist, emailing bars ,restaurants , etc. our site and having my
guitarist send out EPK's(Electronic Press Kits). 95-98 % of our EPKs and
emails are not even looked at. I know the economy stinks but someone out
there must have a better way.We don't have what you would call a
following except our local friends and because we often play far away
from our hometown it is impossible to have people follow you from many
miles . Two months ago I personally took 40 demos to wineries(as I live
in the wine country of Sonoma County). Response was most positive but
only one winery called us for a gig.We finally got a gig at a winery bar
be que for the wine club members but 1 out of 40 are not good odds. Talk
is cheap as my guitarist told me.Anyway, that's my gripe so I am curious
as to what you do to get gigs!!!Allen
John Agosta
2009-06-10 03:13:36 UTC
Post by Harpman
[...]
My 2 cents on the matter....

The number 1 thing is to bring people in.
Play a place, and have some supporters join you.

You can create the best vibe around,
but the management wants people there who are willing to spend.

It's tough. You have to figure out an angle where you can show the
management
that "they will come" and have a good time.

Obviously, management notices the $$$ spent, but they also notice the
"vibes"
that you bring to their place. If you're good, they'll give you another
date,
but it always comes down to "what are you bringing in?"

Start with a staple. Some place that knows you, and likes you.
That will become part of your resume, your reference.

Build some sort of "home town" place where you play,
create your reputation, and expand from there.

-ja
Harpman
2009-06-10 04:28:27 UTC
Post by John Agosta
Post by Harpman
[...]
John, Thanks. We are working on that idea and started an email list of
attendees,but it sure is slow. In this area there are hundreds of
musicians for a handful of venues so you hear the old regulars over and
over and don't get the break needed for a new performer that easily.I'
will just keep trying. Thanks again. Allen