HELP needed idenitfying LEE OSKAR
Terry
2008-04-04 15:16:41 UTC
I'm new at playing the harp.
I bought a LEE OSKAR Tombo "C" a couple of years ago.
It seems he sells 2 types that play "C": Major Diatonic & Melody Maker
Does anyone know how I can tell which I have?
I don't remember.

P.S.
I bought a complete set of 12 cheap harmonicas for $15.00 new, just
for practice. Even as a beginner, boy I can sure tell the difference
between the playability of a LEE OSKAR and these cheap ones.

Thanks,
Terry in Texas
Camarillo Joe
2008-04-04 17:08:41 UTC
The MM"s have blue labels on the box. Diatonics have orange.

If you don't have the box you can tell by the different reeds in the MM.
The web site explains it:

http://www.leeoskar.com/home.html

You're right about the quality difference. I have some Huangs and they're
not bad, but Lee Oskars and Hohners are way better.
Terry in Texas
Terry
2008-04-04 18:47:47 UTC
Post by Terry
I'm new at playing the harp.
I bought a LEE OSKAR Tombo "C" a couple of years ago.
It seems he sells 2 types that play "C": Major Diatonic & Melody Maker
Does anyone know how I can tell which I have?
I don't remember.
P.S.
I bought a complete set of 12 cheap harmonicas for $15.00 new, just
for practice. Even as a beginner, boy I can sure tell the difference
between the playability of a LEE OSKAR and these cheap ones.
Thanks,
Terry in Texas- Hide quoted text -
Thanks, but there's nothing on the Lee Oskar website about
description.
I no longer have the case and there's nothing on the harp that says
either.

Thanks,
Terry
T-Bone Bruce
2008-04-05 14:03:26 UTC
Post by Terry
I'm new at playing the harp.
I bought a LEE OSKAR Tombo "C" a couple of years ago.
It seems he sells 2 types that play "C": Major Diatonic & Melody Maker
Does anyone know how I can tell which I have?
I don't remember.
P.S.
I bought a complete set of 12 cheap harmonicas for $15.00 new, just
for practice. Even as a beginner, boy I can sure tell the difference
between the playability of a LEE OSKAR and these cheap ones.
Thanks,
Terry in Texas- Hide quoted text -
Thanks, but there's nothing on the Lee Oskar website about
description.
I no longer have the case and there's nothing on the harp that says
either.
Thanks,
Terry- Hide quoted text -
If you've got a set of 12, compare your Lee Oskar to the C harp in
your set. If the scales play the same your LO is a standard diatonic.
FWIW the Lee Oskars usually have the key in 1st position printed on
the left hand end, and the 2nd position key on the right hand end. If
it has 2nd C on the Right hand end and 1st Dm on the left it's a
melody maker, if it has 2nd G on the Right and 1st C on the left it's
diatonic
Keith Adams
2008-04-05 14:21:51 UTC
Joe . You couldnt get me to swap 10 Hohners for one Huang. IMO Hohners are
the worst harps on the market bar none. Lee Oscars will last 40 forevers and
I like em just fine but their tuning is a bit peculiar and can give em a bit
of a shrill sound on some keys.
Terry in Texas
RawFoodGuy
2008-04-05 20:15:10 UTC
Post by Terry
I'm new at playing the harp.
I bought a LEE OSKAR Tombo "C" a couple of years ago.
It seems he sells 2 types that play "C": Major Diatonic & Melody Maker
Does anyone know how I can tell which I have?
I don't remember.
P.S.
I bought a complete set of 12 cheap harmonicas for $15.00 new, just
for practice. Even as a beginner, boy I can sure tell the difference
between the playability of a LEE OSKAR and these cheap ones.
Thanks,
Terry in Texas
Melody Makers also have a big "MM" printed right on the comb. I have
two I got in a set of used harp on eBay but haven't had time to figure
out how to plame them.

- Robert
www.rawfoodlife.com
Terry
2008-04-05 23:34:30 UTC
Post by Terry
I'm new at playing the harp.
I bought a LEE OSKAR Tombo "C" a couple of years ago.
It seems he sells 2 types that play "C": Major Diatonic & Melody Maker
Does anyone know how I can tell which I have?
I don't remember.
P.S.
I bought a complete set of 12 cheap harmonicas for $15.00 new, just
for practice. Even as a beginner, boy I can sure tell the difference
between the playability of a LEE OSKAR and these cheap ones.
Thanks,
Terry in Texas
Melody Makers also have a big "MM" printed right on the comb. I have
two I got in a set of used harp on eBay but haven't had time to figure
out how to plame them.
- Robertwww.rawfoodlife.com- Hide quoted text -
I opened my OSKAR and both metal combs has TQIC stamped on them, also
one as a "B" printed on it.
Any ideas ?

thanks,
Terry
Eric Stahl
2008-04-06 03:07:46 UTC
Post by Terry
Post by Terry
[...]
Terry,

Don't know about those markings. As someone noted previously, the
Melody Makers should have an "MM" in large letters, on the front left.
And the Key on the front right.

The Natural Minors should be marked front and left with an "N" - and
the Major Diatonics marked front and left with the key.

Eric
Terry
2008-04-06 04:18:40 UTC
Post by Eric Stahl
Post by Terry
[...]
Eric- Hide quoted text -
I took the OSKAR a part again and what I thought was the comb was the
metal reeds.
This OSKAR has a plastic comb with NO MARKINGS.
The exterior marks are 2nd G and 1st C.

Terry
Eric Stahl
2008-04-06 05:28:58 UTC
On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 21:18:40 -0700 (PDT), Terry <***@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Post by Terry
Post by Eric Stahl
I opened my OSKAR  and both metal combs has TQIC stamped on them, also
one as a "B" printed on it.
Any ideas ?
thanks,
Terry
Terry,
Don't know about those markings. As someone noted previously, the
Melody Makers should have an "MM" in large letters, on the front left.
And the Key on the front right.
The Natural Minors should be marked front and left with an "N" - and
the Major Diatonics marked front and left with the key.
Eric
I took the OSKAR a part again and what I thought was the comb was the
metal reeds.
This OSKAR has a plastic comb with NO MARKINGS.
The exterior marks are 2nd G and 1st C.
Terry
Terry,

That means it's a LO Major Diatonic harp (in C "key label in straight
harp").

-Eric