Almost as green as grass
Dick Kruithof
2009-10-17 13:11:10 UTC
Hi to all,

This newsgroup doesn't appear overactive. I see only a few posters and it
seems to me you are all rather proficient players.
My name is Dick, a total newbie and I just decided (a couple of weeks ago)to
try and learn to play the harmonica.
I have in the meantime aquired the Hohner blues set of 7, the big river, the
Suzuki harpmaster and folkmaster plus the complete idiot's guide and I
subscribed to the Harmonica Academy website.
Have you any advice for me on good books, learning methods or gear to look
out for?

Dick
Harpman
2009-10-17 19:04:36 UTC
Post by Dick Kruithof
Hi to all,
This newsgroup doesn't appear overactive. I see only a few posters and
it seems to me you are all rather proficient players.
My name is Dick, a total newbie and I just decided (a couple of weeks
ago)to try and learn to play the harmonica.
I have in the meantime aquired the Hohner blues set of 7, the big river,
the Suzuki harpmaster and folkmaster plus the complete idiot's guide and
I subscribed to the Harmonica Academy website.
Have you any advice for me on good books, learning methods or gear to
look out for?
Dick
Hi Dick, You should gets tons of advise ,as when this group was totally
active 10 yrs. ago, you would have been flooded with ideas. Not sure
what you will get now. My best advise is that nothing can beat a one on
one learning experience with a teacher. I started in a junior college
class for Intro to blues harmonica that was a 3 hr. class once a week
for 3 weeks. I hired the teacher , for 18 months of private lessons.. We
became good friends and even shared a room at a weekend Blues Harmonica
Masterclass in San Jose, Ca. many years ago.There are tons of sites on
the internet to teach you. I also recommend you contact Jon Gindick (he
has lots of youtube videos) and buy whatever he has for a beginner in
blues and go from there. He basically makes his living teaching blues
harmonica and has his own website.Also, on youtube are a huge amount of
lessons by Adam Gussow, one of the best living blues harp players
today(goes by the name of KudzRunner). He has maybe 60 plus lessons.
Start with lesson 1 and go from there. He also also his own site and
sells some learning material.Those are just two starting places and when
you search the internet for blues harmonica lessons you will be swamped
with sites. Good luck. Have fun. Don't quit . At the end of 1 year you
will be performing in public at open mics. Where do you live? Allen
Dick Kruithof
2009-10-18 13:28:47 UTC
Hi Allen,

I live in the Netherlands, some 40 miles north of Amsterdam.
Sofar I have been looking on the internet and have come accross some site
that might be useful to me. And I did see some Adam Gussow stuff on youtube
but that was still a bit over my head, I should probarbly search for and
start at lesson 1 as you say.
I shall search for Jon Gindick material, thanks for the tip.
As I mentioned I did subscribe to Tony Eyers Harmonica Academy and am now
practicing to get single clean notes and trying to draw some decent sounds
out of the first three holes at which I only occasionaly succeed.
I find that at this point playing familiar chirldren's songs and such is the
best way to get going.
If there are any teachers in this aerea and if I am ready for that I don't
know yet; I feel I first have to learn and get a feeling for where the notes
are.
And I do not yet see myself performing at the end of year 1, I would be
quite content if I reach that level before I retire.
There are so called meetup groups in this country, one in Amsterdam, and
there is a harmonica forum in dutch on the internet, so I am now quite
confident that I wil find my way around in harmonicaland.
Allen, thanks for your reaction anfd advice.
best regards, Dick
Harpman
2009-10-18 16:25:29 UTC
Post by Harpman
Post by Dick Kruithof
[...]
Dick, look at angelfire.com/myquill That might not be the exact
site but you should get the Diatonic harmonica site. It is all
informational and instructional. Let me know if you get it. Allen
SB
2009-10-18 16:39:44 UTC
Post by Harpman
Dick, look at angelfire.com/myquill That might not be the exact
site but you should get the Diatonic harmonica site. It is all
informational and instructional. Let me know if you get it. Allen
that's a bum link. i'm a newb and i'm happy w/ instructional videos
from ronnie shellist. got-harmonica.com
Harpman
2009-10-18 17:45:41 UTC
Post by SB
Post by Harpman
Dick, look at angelfire.com/myquill That might not be the exact
site but you should get the Diatonic harmonica site. It is all
informational and instructional. Let me know if you get it. Allen
that's a bum link. i'm a newb and i'm happy w/ instructional videos
from ronnie shellist. got-harmonica.com
Ronnie Sheelist is really another good video series. here is the link I
mentioned in previous email: angelfire.com/tx/myquill/ There is
some really good information you can select from the left hand side of
his page, especially for beginners. Hope you get it. Allen
SB
Ahh good website. Thx!
Spider
2009-10-18 17:53:01 UTC
Post by Dick Kruithof
Hi to all,
This newsgroup doesn't appear overactive. I see only a few posters and it
seems to me you are all rather proficient players.
My name is Dick, a total newbie and I just decided (a couple of weeks ago)to
try and learn to play the harmonica.
I have in the meantime aquired the Hohner blues set of 7, the big river, the
Suzuki harpmaster and folkmaster plus the complete idiot's guide and I
subscribed to the Harmonica Academy website.
Have you any advice for me on good books, learning methods or gear to look
out for?
Dick
The one piece of advice i would give too a new player is
Don't suck or blow on the harmonica like you are sucking
though a straw. Place the harmonica well into your mouth
and breath from deep down very relaxed and easy.
Dick Kruithof
2009-10-19 19:00:07 UTC
Thanks for your tips.
Ronnie Sheelist is a name that is new to me and seems interesting from what
I see on youtube.
Dick
SB
2009-10-19 21:32:56 UTC
Post by Dick Kruithof
Thanks for your tips.
Ronnie Sheelist is a name that is new to me and seems interesting from
what I see on youtube.
Dick
I've just finished the first of a 4 part instructional series he has. I
believe the first 50 minute DVD was $15 which I downloaded from him.
Came as a zip file. Now it's practice, practice.. I would love to take
some private lessons like Harpman did but haven't found anyone local
yet. And nothing at the jr. college level either.

I'm learning the ukulele also. LOL
Jaybird
2009-10-25 18:41:36 UTC
Hi Dick and Welcome,

The very best learning materials for harmonica is the books published
by David Barrett's Harmonica Master Class company. Here is the link:

http://www.harmonicamasterclass.com/books.htm

I learned almost everything I know from Barrett's books. I never took
a private lesson.

Good luck, and practice alot!

Jaybird

----------------------------
www.Youtube.com/Jaybird33066
Dick Kruithof
2009-10-27 09:08:08 UTC
Hi Jaybird,

Thanks for the link.
I tried to order a beginnerspack from the site but alas he doesn't ship
international.
Does only U.S..
I have ordered three books (one is a John Gindick) and the Jerry Portnoy CD
course.
Estimated time of arrival is in december. So I have to be patient for
awhile.

Dick
Jaybird
2009-10-27 13:19:27 UTC
Dick,

Join the forum at Modern Blues Harmonica. You will learn alot, and
make some friends.

http://www.modernbluesharmonica.com/blues_harp_forum.html

Jaybird
Jaybird
2009-10-27 14:29:22 UTC
Download this Book/CD. It is excellent for beginners learning to bend
notes.

http://www.tempfiles.net/download/200910/66081/Beginning-Blues-Harp.html
Dick Kruithof
2009-10-27 23:31:28 UTC
Hello again Jaybird,

Just downloaded the book and CD.
This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.
Will start to use it in a day or so.
Thanks a heap!

Dick