Hi folks. Who shrink the alt.music.harmonica
Zoran
2008-06-16 19:06:31 UTC
Where are you guys, Silk, Keith, everybody, Johnny, what's up guys. Harp is
beautiful instrument, no any question, no any answer, OK; regards to all of
you harp brothers.

Chears.

www.myspace.com/bigzdoomcomunity
Harpman
2008-06-17 00:19:53 UTC
Post by Zoran
Where are you guys, Silk, Keith, everybody, Johnny, what's up guys. Harp is
beautiful instrument, no any question, no any answer, OK; regards to all of
you harp brothers.
Chears.
www.myspace.com/bigzdoomcomunity
Zoran, When I first got on this newsgroup many years ago it was almost
nonstop totally fun blues harmonica writings. Keith and Silk were some
of the more interesting and knowledgeable harp players and contributors.
I think they are hibernating ,still thinking it's winter.As time went
on, less and less people became involved. A lot of the newcomers had
good questions, which resulted in great conversations. Maybe all the
topics have been covered and no one knows what to talk about.Anyway,
glad you wrote this, as I was thinking exactly the same thought a few
days ago. OK,everyone-wake up and smell the harmonicas! Allen
Keith Adams
2008-06-17 16:05:43 UTC
Aha. Two of my favorite old buddies. I'm around fellers.
I dont stop by much because I got tired of getting insulted by pecker necks
whose faces I'd rearrange(given the chance) for stating my opinions. I guess
they didnt like the way I talked to them? I dont do the politically correct
horse shit. Anyway. Yesterday I went to an antique swap meet with my gal
friend. I was checking out the antique women more than anything else when I
spotted a brown bullet mic laying in a box. Shiny silver grille on it and no
identifying marks. I could see that the body was smaller than your run of
the mill GB though. It had a little wooden handle screwed into it and a hard
wired cord that was missing its end. I figured it would have a crystal
element that had turned to dust in it and I'd stick a controlled magnetic
into her. Got it home and looked inside. A Shure crystal(made by Astatic I
rectum) that said 1947 on it and the gasket was like new. I put a 1/4" male
plug on it and the damned thing sounded like a million bucks. Them old
small bullets are getting about as rare as hens lips so it suprized me to
find it. I need another mic like I need another rotten and broke off to
the gums tooth but for $10? Its like a limp peter. You cant beat it
Harpman
2008-06-17 16:15:34 UTC
Post by Zoran
Where are you guys, Silk, Keith, everybody, Johnny, what's up guys. Harp
is beautiful instrument, no any question, no any answer, OK; regards to
all of you harp brothers.
Chears.
www.myspace.com/bigzdoomcomunity
Keith, How are you doing? So glad to see your still around!!! Sounds
like you found a diamond in the rough at the
swap meet. I'm still playing with your hand made mic. Hey, if you have a
chance, go to reverbnation.com and in the search box at the top put in
Front Porch Blues. It's me and my new found blues guitar/vocalist. I
want your opinion as I value it more then most others.Thanks and welcome
back. Maybe we can revive this group. Allen
Zoran
2008-06-19 21:41:36 UTC
Hallo Keith, my 14 month old son starting to blow harp straight from the
gut, I'm so happy.
About this mic you bought, nice stuff, nice sound, obviously extra good
elelement. Lucky you Keith.

Regards, Z.
Keith Adams
2008-06-18 00:11:44 UTC
Im fine Allen. Thank you for asking. Will do man. I'll check em out.
Hey Allen. If you dont mind would you email me ? I dont know your current
email address and I've got a batch of new songs that other people recorded
that I'd like you to hear.
Keith Adams
2008-06-19 01:09:37 UTC
Hey Allen. I'm no expert and the majority of the things I have to say is
mostly splitting hairs . But
This is my impressions of ya'lls music.
It seems to me that you've kinda slipped back into that old habit of
hesitating just a bit with your playing. Not on all of the songs but a
couple It goes along with what Zoran said about timing. Just a slight
hesitation will mess your timing up enough to make you rush to catch up and
you end up playing the notes you wanted to too fast and too many of em. Any
time you feel that this might be happening then go back to the old fixer
upper for awhile. Thats playing with the harp in one hand only. Timing is
everything so to me its worth it to abandon the two hand cup and sacrifice a
little tone to get the timing right.Speaking of tone. You're really sounding
good Allen. You're getting nice over tones a nuances into your playing. If
it were me I'd try to hold the notes that meld in with the singers voice
nicely a bit longer then while watching his fretting hand change when he
does. Hold a note there a couple seconds then go back to what you do
normaly which is very nice. As far as your music goes. Its better than the
average duo you'd run into. I know that you dont consider yourself a
vocalist but if you could find small spots in your songs where you could
harmonize with him a little I think it would give the music another
dimension and make it sound more complete. Its like adding another
instrument. His voice could use some help in places. He doesnt seem like
he'd be all that easy to play along with. His timing is a bit erratic. Just
a touch of reverb added to your recordings would give the sound more depth
as well. I especially liked your playing on City Of New Orleans though you
did a better than passable job on all of it
Harpman
2008-06-19 04:35:11 UTC
Post by Zoran
Where are you guys, Silk, Keith, everybody, Johnny, what's up guys. Harp
is beautiful instrument, no any question, no any answer, OK; regards to
all of you harp brothers.
Chears.
www.myspace.com/bigzdoomcomunity
Keith, Thanks for the comments. My biggest problem is getting the
guitarist to stay in rhythm. He throws his timing into differnt tempos
as the song progresses. I have tamed him down a bit and we just had a 3
hr. practice session. Will take your advise, but I am definitely not a
singer. Allen
Robert Reynolds
2008-06-19 06:10:43 UTC
Post by Harpman
Keith, Thanks for the comments. My biggest problem is getting the
guitarist to stay in rhythm. He throws his timing into differnt tempos
as the song progresses. I have tamed him down a bit and we just had a 3
hr. practice session. Will take your advise, but I am definitely not a
singer. Allen
If he has a good attitude you may suggest a metronome. A lot of guys
get really insulted about that kind of thing, but realistically if you
want to play with other people you have to develop a good sense of
timing. Whenever I play at a jam with a drummer who can't hold a tempo
I have a very hard time playing. I know some people who can plow
through and keep playing, and even sound good doing it, but I'm just not
good enough to do that. I try not to play with guys who can't hold a tempo.
Harpman
2008-06-19 16:07:42 UTC
Post by Robert Reynolds
Post by Harpman
Keith, Thanks for the comments. My biggest problem is getting the
guitarist to stay in rhythm. He throws his timing into differnt tempos
as the song progresses. I have tamed him down a bit and we just had a
3 hr. practice session. Will take your advise, but I am definitely not
a singer. Allen
If he has a good attitude you may suggest a metronome. A lot of guys
get really insulted about that kind of thing, but realistically if you
want to play with other people you have to develop a good sense of
timing. Whenever I play at a jam with a drummer who can't hold a tempo
I have a very hard time playing. I know some people who can plow
through and keep playing, and even sound good doing it, but I'm just not
good enough to do that. I try not to play with guys who can't hold a tempo.
Hi Robert, Last night I mentioned a metronome to him. I also forwarded
Keith's remarks to him. He is very open minded and takes my suggestions
.Hopefully he will get his timing down before our gig on 6/28.