improvisation
Spider
2009-04-11 21:10:21 UTC
Improvisation

Some people seem to think improvisation is just random notes throw together
without any thought of the key structure. You might be able to put together
a couple of pleasing licks this away but it soon starts turning too
shit without improvising within a key structure.

if you have some note sequence that sound ok when played by their self
but sound like a mess when played with back tracks or musicians.
The problem you are having is you don't know shit about key chords
and how they are put together to make a pleasing melody.

Now lets look too an example key structure and I'll keep it
simple for you dumass's to follower along.
Lets use the Key of G. The main chords in the key of G
are: G,C and D but you can forget about the letters
What you need to learn is the scale degrees.

The G chord is the 1st scale degree
The C chord is the 4th scale degree
And the D chord is the 5th scale degree.

No matter what Key you are playing in the chords will always fall
on the same scale degree. The key of D is as follows

D chord 1st scale degree
G chord 4th scale degree
A chord 5th scale degree

You see the degrees stay the same only the chords are changed.
How can this be you might ask? well you are moving around on the scale
and this is why you use diffrent chords. How come the scale degrees
don't change you might ask? Well you see the scale degree you start on
Will be the 1st scale degree of the key you are playing in.
so count up four on the scale and you have the four chord or 4th degree
and so on.

It is real simple to learn where the One chord, the four chord and
the five chord are on your harmonica. And with that this is where
i end and where you the dumass will have to do some home work.

Remember no matter what key of harmonica you pick up the scale
degrees will stay the same only the chords change.
Don't get mad if you are feeling like a dumass right now go and
learn your harmonica and in return you can pay forward by learning
some other dumass. Thus reading the world of dumass harmonica players.

Later Spider
magiclarry
2009-04-13 22:02:38 UTC
Hello Spider,
I am one of the dumass's and I am not assamed to ask a stupid question
but here it goes.
I don't even know what a scale degree is so could you please explain?
Sorry but your previous explaination wasn't simple enough for me.
Thank you
Larry
Later Spider
Spider
2009-04-14 18:04:16 UTC
Post by magiclarry
Hello Spider,
I am one of the dumass's and I am not assamed to ask a stupid question
but here it goes.
I don't even know what a scale degree is so could you please explain?
Sorry but your previous explaination wasn't simple enough for me.
Thank you
Larry
Ok larry i'll try to help your simple mind out.

A scale degree is the name of a particular note of a scale in relation to
the tonic (the note of the scale that is considered the most important)

Now let me see if i can put that in simple terms.
We will use the C scale for our example.

C -scale |C|D|E|F|G|A|C|
---------|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|

In this example the C note is the tonic note which is also the 1st
scale degree. Count up 4 notes starting on the 1st scale degree
and you fall on the root note of the four chord. Which is the F note
and 4th scale degree. The note G is the 5th scale degree and is the
root note of the five chord.

So the chords for the key of C are C,F and G
Which in turn can be referred to as the One chord, four chord and five chord.
No matter what scale you are using scale degrees stay the same only the
chord and note names change.

So where is the one chord, four chord and five chord on your harmonica?
In cross harp or 2nd position. The root note for the key C is
hole two draw. The root note for the four chord is hole four blow.
And the root note for the five chord is hole four draw.

So how can you use this bullshit help to improve your improvisations.
When the band is playing the One chord you play draw notes 1 though 10
on your harmonica. When band is playing the four chord you play
any of the blow notes on your harmonica. And the five chord you
play draw notes 4 though 10.

This is just a simple method to get you start it is not meant
to be a strict rule for improvisations. After you have learned
all the bullshit you will come to the conclusion that there
are no rules in music.

I hope this has helped you understand more about your harmonica.
What scale degrees are and where the 1,4 and 5 chords are.

Now go play your harmonica and think about what you just read.

Later Spider
Simple minds have to learn simple things so the big things
can be made clear.