need advice on books for chromatic harp
crashpoint_zero
2008-11-02 11:11:06 UTC
Hi guys,

I had started learning the 12 key chromatic harp about a few months
ago. I can play sheet music in sort of a broken manner. I wanted to
buy a book which stresses more on the fundamentals rather than giving
initial lessons and then belting out a few tunes.

I searched on the net for the books and came out with these popular
titles:

1. The idiots guide to learning harmonica
2. Mel Bay's complete chromatic harmonica

and online lessons at harmonicalessons.com, harptabs.com, etc.

I read a few pages of the idiot's guide on google books but they say
that you need to have a diatonic for this book. I wanted your advice
on which book or resource should a beginner look at? - someone who
wants to learn the harp seriously and not just a few songs.

Thanks.
2008-11-05 18:44:10 UTC
Post by crashpoint_zero
Hi guys,
I had started learning the 12 key chromatic harp about a few months
ago. I can play sheet music in sort of a broken manner. I wanted to
buy a book which stresses more on the fundamentals rather than giving
initial lessons and then belting out a few tunes.
I searched on the net for the books and came out with these popular
1. The idiots guide to learning harmonica
2. Mel Bay's complete chromatic harmonica
and online lessons at harmonicalessons.com, harptabs.com, etc.
I read a few pages of the idiot's guide on google books but they say
that you need to have a diatonic for this book.
Most books are geared toward the hampered ten holers, sadly (Cacofonix
ducks).

I wanted your advice
Post by crashpoint_zero
on which book or resource should a beginner look at? - someone who
wants to learn the harp seriously and not just a few songs.
Thanks.
You might have found these sites already, but if you haven't, check them out

http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/ (chromatic harmonica reference site)
http://www.slidemeister.com/ (harmonica forum)
For your question this thread on that last site might be relevant
(although there might be others):
http://tinyurl.com/5mabul

Fwiw: I bought Douglas Tate's "Play the harmonica well" recently. It's
thin and oriented toward the classical player but contained much usefull
information to me (I've been making music for the last 25 years, 10 of
which on chromatic harmonica).

Cacofonix
crashpoint_zero
2008-11-13 05:52:31 UTC
Post by M
You might have found these sites already, but if you haven't, check them out
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/(chromatic harmonica reference site)http://www.slidemeister.com/(harmonica forum)
I had checked the above link. It was pretty useful.
Post by M
For your question this thread on that last site might be relevant
(although there might be others):http://tinyurl.com/5mabul
Fwiw: I bought Douglas Tate's "Play the harmonica well" recently. It's
thin and oriented toward the classical player but contained much usefull
information to me (I've been making music for the last 25 years, 10 of
which on chromatic harmonica).
Need to check out these. Thanks a lot for the advice. Appreciate your
inputs.