Suzuki Bluesmaster. Excellent.
salmon
2007-12-09 20:31:19 UTC
Bought two Bluesmasters for myself and a friend and can't praise them
highly enough.

I currently play a Delta Frost and was interested by the fact that the
Bluesmaster shared the same reedplates with the phosphor bronze reeds,
They do. They sound identical but the Bluesmaster has more comfortable
to hold stainless steel cover plates which extend over the entire
reedplate. From a design point of view it is a much nicer solution and
will be easier to keep clean than the Delta Frosts. Also, the
reedplates on both the Bluesmaster and the Delta Frost have seven
screw position holes to clamp the two reedplates to the comb. The
Delta Frost use only three of those plus the two holes for securing
the cover plates, making five holes used in total. The Bluesmaster,
due to its cover plate design, uses all seven screw holes, plus two
for securing the cover plates, making nine clamping positions in
total. This could improve airtightness, I'm not 100% sure but would
think it would.

The Bluesmaster to my mind is a tidier, better made job and comes with
a shell case which is virtually identical in every respect to the
Delta Frost case, apart from the colour and printing.

Both harps sound excellent and bending is a dream compared with the
problems I had with the Lee Oskars. There were none of the draw 2 and
3 problems that Lee describes on his website which really puts the
onus on the user rather than the build quality.

Both the Delta Frost and Suzuki Bluesmaster performed perfectly
straight out of the box. None of this re-gapping business was required
and nor should it be.

In conclusion they are both good harps but I think Suzuki come out top
for me and that's where my money will be going in the future.
Keith Adams
2007-12-10 02:46:44 UTC
I dont find the Lee Oscar type squared corner covers to be uncomfortable
but they will jerk moustache hairs out left and right. That can be a bit
bothersome.
I see that you're not a believer in gapping reeds salmon. The easy
playing harps that you have now would probably be just a bit more
responsive,air tight and easier to play after a re gap. Its really easy to
do and doesnt take much know how or touch. Its a good thing to learn how to
do for any harmonica player. Any harp plays easy with the correct gap
between the reeds and plate.
Harpman
2007-12-10 18:50:37 UTC
Post by salmon
[...]
I agree whole heartedly. Thats why I ordered the 6 pack at a great
price.Been using them for practice and at open mics last 2 weeks. Great
harps, great price, and I too was a big Bushman Delta frost fan, until I
got these. Allen
Mikel Lee
2007-12-14 18:54:50 UTC
The only problem I see is the Bluesmaster is only available in 8 keys
while the Delta Frost is available in 14. For some, that may not be a
problem.
Keith Adams
2007-12-15 21:44:38 UTC
I can get them in 12 keys anytime. Where do you live?
problem.
Mikel Lee
2007-12-16 17:56:01 UTC
Hi Keith,

I live in FL. Between Harpdepot and Coast2Coast I've never had a
problem getting what I need.

Mikel Lee
www.myspace.com/mikel-lee
Chromatonic
2007-12-15 21:51:09 UTC
Post by Mikel Lee
The only problem I see is the Bluesmaster is only available in 8 keys
while the Delta Frost is available in 14. For some, that may not be a
problem.
According to Suzuki's website http://www.suzukimusic.com/harmonicas/mr250/
, the MR250 is available in 12 keys. Still pretty limiting when you
consider that Hohner offers 18 keys (plus nat'l minor & country) and
Seydel offers MANY more than that.

Also, is saving $2 so important? Special20s are available for about
$20 on the internet - by far a better harmonica (better sounding, more
airtight and better tuned, IMO). I own 2 Bluesmasters which didn't
play as well as my Special 20s out of the box (I don't like 12TET
tuning), and since having them re-tuned & gapped, they still don't
play as well as out of the box Special 20s.

I also find that they tend to choke easily, don't like spit (I play
wet), and don't seem to have as much 'body' in their tone, I guess
because of the thin SS covers. BTW, I'm not a Suziki hater; I have a
Pure Harp that sounds incredible and plays very well.
salmon
2007-12-21 12:05:54 UTC
Hello again folks. Good and bad news I'm afraid. The four draw on my
delta frost went seriously flat, must have overdone the bending. I am
a bit dissapointed seeing as the phosphor bronze reeds are supposed to
be extra strong compared with the normal types of reed. However, I am
assuming this is a one off occurence and am giving the benefit of the
doubt to the fact there may have just been a weakness in the material.
I don't blow or draw particularly hard so I'm certain it wasn't due to
any miss-treatment on my part.

However, I bought replacement plates from Harmonicas Direct and fitted
them. The replacement plates are in fact made for the Suzuki Pro
Master MR350 and are a direct replacement for the delta frost plates.
The only difference being that they are nickel plated which to my mind
looks nicer than the brass ones which do tarnish where they are
exposed at the ends. They sound exactly the same and they are
available in 14 keys Chromatonic.

So, I have been told by a gentleman at Suzuki that they do make the
Delta Frost and he couldn't understand why Bushman denies it.

Anyway just thought I'd let you all know. Waa-waa-kayoogaa!