Finalists Of International Blues Challenge Announced, Winners to Be Determined
d***@justrootspr.com
2008-02-02 23:30:59 UTC
At 2:51 PM, Steve Allen, President of the Detroit Blues Society knew
the finalists for the International Blues Challenge had been
announced. Unfortunately the finalists did not include the band, nor
the duo sent to Memphis to represent Detroit.

For the 24th year, Blues musicians from around the world competed for
cash, prizes, and industry recognition as The Blues Foundation
presented the 24th annual IBC beginning January 31 and continuing
February 1-2, 2008 in Memphis, TN.

The world's largest gathering of Blues acts represents an
international search by The Blues Foundation and its Affiliated
Organizations for the Blues Band and Solo/Duo Blues Act ready to take
their act to the international stage. In 2007 over 90 bands and 60
solo/duo acts and even greater participation is expected in 2008,
filling the clubs up and down Beale Street for the semi-finals on
Thursday and Friday and the finals at the Orpheum Theater on
Saturday.

Said Allen, "Round two of the preliminaries at the International Blues
Challenge in Memphis is complete and unfortunately, neither the Front
Street Blues Band or Mike Espy and Yakety Yak are going to move on to
the finals.

"They were beaten out by some pretty stiff competition. Front Street
was beaten out by the Laurie Morvan Band, national recording artists.
Mike Espy and Yakety Yak were beaten out by one-man-band, John -Alex
Mason."

In fact, no Michigan bands made the finals!

With a high sense of sportsmanship, Allen continued "Please join me in
thanking our excellent representatives and let them know just how
proud we are of them! "

The finalists are as follows:

The Band finalists:
Doghouse Daddies
Laurie Morvan Band
Shakura S'Aida
Lil' Ray Neal Blues Band
Trampled Under Foot
Little Rodger & The Cheap Thrills
Awek
Delta Wires
The Mike Crandall Band
Pryor Baird and the Deacons

The Solo/Duo finalists: John -Alex Mason
Ben Prestage
Dan Stevens and Chris D'Amato
2blu
Robert Sampson
Lionel Young

Band finals began today at 2pm; doors open at 1:00pm. Solo/Duo begins
tonite at 8:30. All at The Orpheum Theatre.
Robert Reynolds
2008-02-03 02:16:51 UTC
It's great to see that Trampled Underfoot made it to the finals. If
you've never heard them, you ought to. Check out their website
http://www.trampledunderfootkc.com/

Danielle's voice will bring tears to your eyes.
Harpman
Wow, I listened to Rather be Blind. Fantastic sounding group! Allen
Robert Reynolds
2008-02-04 02:08:09 UTC
Post by Harpman
Wow, I listened to Rather be Blind. Fantastic sounding group! Allen
They really are fantastic. I talked to a friend in Kansas City today
and heard that T.U.F. won first place in Memphis, and Nick won the Best
Guitarist award. They'll probably be touring a lot more after winning,
so if you ever get a chance to see them you should. Their live shows
are amazing.
They are also some of the nicest people I've ever met.
JOB
2008-02-05 19:47:59 UTC
Post by Harpman
Wow, I listened to Rather be Blind. Fantastic sounding group! Allen
They really are fantastic. I talked to a friend in Kansas City today and
heard that T.U.F. won first place in Memphis, and Nick won the Best
Guitarist award. They'll probably be touring a lot more after winning, so
if you ever get a chance to see them you should. Their live shows are
amazing.
They are also some of the nicest people I've ever met.
That's an excellent blues band...but they could use a good harpplayer - I'm
only a phonecall and 5000 miles away (-;
JOB
Keith Adams