very interesting and exciting experience
Harpman
2008-08-26 15:20:20 UTC
Hello harp lovers, On Sunday, my guitarist/vocalist and myself had a 4
hr. recording session at Expressions College in Emeryville, Ca. We had 5
advanced sound engineering students and their instructor running the
control booth , while I was in one sound proof room,looking through
glass plate windows to my guitarist. We both had headphones on and could
control the volume of the guitar, vocals and harp from our individual
room. Recorded 16 songs which the students said was phenomenal. They
said some musicians spend an hour arguing and rerecording over and over
just one song.We probably made 2 takes on a total of 3-4 songs at the
most.And on one song, I played the harp a second time while listening to
the track previously made of the guitar and vocals, as I wasn't happy
with the harmonica part from the first take. It looked to me like the
sound control room was the inside of a NASA space ship. Three hugh
panels with hundreds of controls. One panel cost $100,000 ! Allison
Krause,a grad. of the school, was recording the same afternoon we were
there, but I didn't see her. It is a large school with many different
studios of many different sizes. Before you are allowed to record, they
make you come for a tour and orientation of the school,show you where
you will be recording and get you somewhat familiar with the
surroundings.For free, you get the use of the studios,the students, and
a cd ,at the end. Because we spent most of the time recording there
wasn't enough time left for the mix to be done, so my guitarist's son,
who is a student, DJ and sound engineer at U.C. Davis, will do the mix
for us.If any one lives within a reasonable distance of Emeryville, Ca.
and wants a demo done, contact the school. Check out the college on the
internet. Excellent site. Allen
T-Bone Bruce
2008-08-27 22:18:58 UTC
Post by Harpman
[...]
Hi Allen,
I'm glad you enjoyed doing some studio recording- I've been in the
studio a couple of times to record harp on some friends tracks before
and it's always an interesting experience.
Harpman
2008-08-27 23:35:44 UTC
Post by T-Bone Bruce
Post by Harpman
[...]
Hi , Yes, it sure was interesting. I wonder how much time a famous
group, ie:Clapton and his band would take to cut 16 songs. Allen
Robert Reynolds
2008-08-28 14:16:11 UTC
Allen,

A few years ago when I played in a blues band we did six songs in a
studio for a club demo. The band leader and his friend who own the
studio are great enthusiasts of old recording equipment, so we did the
recording on 2 inch tape, using a variety of 40 to 50 year old
microphones. Then the songs were edited on digital equipment. The
whole experience was some of the greatest fun I ever had.

They did one really nifty tape trick on Broke My Baby's Heart. I played
a few notes on a tenor sax on the intro, then I doubled it on baritone
sax. They still thought it needed help, so they sped the tape up to put
the song in G instead of F and I played it again. When played at normal
speed it sounded like three different horns playing the same part.

I would love to do more recording. I can't explain why, but it's very
exciting.

Robbie
Harpman
2008-08-28 15:55:07 UTC
Post by Harpman
[...]
Robbie, It truly was an exciting experience. I don't know where you
live but you could probably do all of what you said and a lot more if
you signed up for a session at the school. It's all free!Allen