San Diego Area Harmonica Players Wanted
Chromatonic
2007-12-19 01:30:28 UTC
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/muc/513398280.html
Keith Adams
2007-12-19 14:54:37 UTC
One harps enough and too much unless you play it sparingly. Thats one thing
that I dont like about the instrument. In a full band you shouldnt hear one
much.
Playing in a 2 or 3 piece band is different. You need something in there
making sound
Chromatonic
2007-12-19 21:52:09 UTC
Keith, not sure I take your meaning correctly. Sounds like you don't
like harmonicas (I wonder why you're on this list if that's the
case?). ;-)

Playing a number of the same instrument in unison can be exceedingly
tedious, to be sure.

The goal is to use different TYPES of harmonicas, and to play
different PARTS (just as you would in a more conventional band), i.e.,
rhythm, bass, accompaniment, melody, harmony, etc.

Even then, it could still get tedious, if players don't have the most
crucial attribute: big ears. Imagine playing a 6-string, 12-string,
dobro & bariutone guitar all in the same band. It CAN be done, but
only carefully.

I play in a few performance situations. I've found if players aren't
listening to one another, it's a train-wreck. High-volume & running-
off-at-the- er, instruement are the biggest challenges I face all the
time.

"When in doubt - lay out."
Keith Adams
2007-12-20 22:26:40 UTC
Yeah I love harmonicas. Just not more than one at a time. How long have you
been playing and how old are you?
Chromatonic
2007-12-21 14:23:38 UTC
I've been playing since my folks gave me my first Hohner at about age
5. I'm 52 now.

I don't get it - why not more than 1 at a time? That's kind of like
saying no more than 1 guitar or 1 saxophone, isn't it? Or 1 male
singer?

What about Bacon Fat or Hazmat Modine?

It wouldn't sound like your daddy's R & R, but then, I wouldn't want
it to...