New Lee Oscar harps
Randy G.
2007-06-21 15:46:52 UTC
I have played LO harps for over 20 years now. I am not a pro, but just
enjoy playing the blues. I am nothing special, but have sat in a
couple three times with some folks here and there and no one has sic'd
their dog on me. I loved the LOs until now.

I have some friends now trying to put a fun group together and so
picked up a couple new LOs at a local music store and I could not be
more disappointed. The covers of the new harps are absolutely
terrible. In comparison to the old design they are fatter at the blow
side, but that is not the biggest problem. The new plates are stamped
with the number holes so deeply that the harps act like a rasp on your
upper lip. My upper lip is still sore from last night, and I didn't
play all that much. It is beyond me why the holes have to be numbered
at all (I know everyone does it), but the new stamping is so very
deep, wide, and edgy. I used the reed plates from the new one to
refresh my old C harp, and I have written Tombo/LO in the US to tell
them that I will not be purchasing any more of their harps. I will be
switching- probably to the Hohner Special 20, but there are plenty of
harps other than the LO to choose from!

from Randy G.
no need to read this sig file
RPM1
2007-06-22 00:33:09 UTC
Post by Randy G.
I have some friends now trying to put a fun group together and so
picked up a couple new LOs at a local music store and I could not be
more disappointed. The covers of the new harps are absolutely
terrible. In comparison to the old design they are fatter at the blow
side, but that is not the biggest problem. The new plates are stamped
with the number holes so deeply that the harps act like a rasp on your
upper lip.
I have had bad experiences with LOs also. I found the covers to be of
vastly different sizes. Some were very fat at the blow side. Others were
more reasonable. Some even had one cover fat and the other slim?? I've
found most other harps to have better quality control. I've settled on the
Suzuki Bluesmasters as my favorite harp for the money. I like Special 20's
too, but the Bluesmasters fit better in my mouth, (they're slightly
smaller).

Better luck next time.
Patrick
T-Bone Bruce
2007-06-24 13:35:48 UTC
Post by RPM1
Post by Randy G.
[...]
LO's intentionally have deeper covers on the lower keyed harps to stop
the reeds rattling on the covers. I have found the note numbers have
been stamped in deeper of late, a little less comfortable but not
noticeable so for me. Have you written to Lee himself about it? From
his product, and appreciates feedback on it.
Randy G.
2008-09-23 16:34:37 UTC
Post by T-Bone Bruce
LO's intentionally have deeper covers on the lower keyed harps to stop
the reeds rattling on the covers. I have found the note numbers have
been stamped in deeper of late, a little less comfortable but not
noticeable so for me. Have you written to Lee himself about it? From
his product, and appreciates feedback on it.
As a late follow up, I had written a number of E-mail letter
concerning the LO problem, and about two or three months later my
phone rings, and it is Lee Oscar himself! I discussed the problem with
him and he said thy had made new stamp dies. I still maintain that
putting the numbers is a tradition that needs to die, but he was quite
nice about the whole thing, but I had to tell him that I had already
quit using LO harps and have switched to Bushman Delta Frost.

I could not be happier- the Bushmans are awesome right out of the box.
They are faster to respond and more efficient. After playing them, to
blow a LO or a Seydel is like trying to inflate a paper bag. I now
have 17 Bushman harps plus four or five sets or replacement reed
plates, and never think about trying anything else.
Randy G.
Bushman Harps - Genz Benz BP-30
Play to Live - Live to Play
T-Bone Bruce
2008-09-23 18:22:01 UTC
Post by Randy G.
Post by T-Bone Bruce
[...]
Well, you got a call from the man hisself! Right now my most favourite
harps are a West Weston custom marine band, and the Hering 1923
vintage....