Playing with B min
Tim Finnegan
2008-10-14 11:11:27 UTC
Hi all

the band is playing I'm Your Man by Leonard Cohen. The giutar is in B min
and I am playing a solo and trying to maintain the minor feel. I've tried E
and now B.

What is the best harp to use for this and what position?

Tim
Randy G.
2008-10-14 14:05:41 UTC
Post by Tim Finnegan
Hi all
the band is playing I'm Your Man by Leonard Cohen. The giutar is in B min
and I am playing a solo and trying to maintain the minor feel. I've tried E
and now B.
What is the best harp to use for this and what position?
B minor is played in third position on an A harp. You could also just
get a B minor harp as well if third position feels too weird to you.
Randy G.
Bushman Harps - Genz Benz BP-30
Play to Live - Live to Play
Tim Finnegan

Play to Live - Live to Play
T-Bone Bruce
2008-10-19 07:16:22 UTC
  Thanks Randy, I'll give that a shot.
  Tim

  >>Hi all
  >>
  >>the band is playing I'm Your Man by Leonard Cohen.  The giutar is in B
min
  >>and I am playing a solo and trying to maintain the minor feel.  I've
tried E
  >>and now B.
  >>
  >>What is the best harp to use for this and what position?
  >>
  >
  > B minor is played in third position on an A harp. You could also just
  > get a B minor harp as well if third position feels too weird to you.
  >          Randy G.
  > Bushman Harps - Genz Benz BP-30
  >  Play to Live - Live to Play
4th position may also work well if the subdominant chord is minor. a D
harp played in 4th position will give Bm. If you can't bend notes,
start on the 6 draw. Scale: 6 draw, 7 draw, 7 blow, 8 draw, 8 blow, 9
draw, 9 blow, 10 draw.
It might sound difficult, but both Bob Dylan and Neil Young have
managed it, and neither of them are noted as "technical" harp
players....
Eric Stahl
2008-10-19 18:58:45 UTC
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:11:27 +1100, "Tim Finnegan"
Post by Tim Finnegan
Hi all
the band is playing I'm Your Man by Leonard Cohen. The giutar is in B min
and I am playing a solo and trying to maintain the minor feel. I've tried E
and now B.
What is the best harp to use for this and what position?
Tim
There's a song presently posted on the harmonicajam Open Mic page
called "Night Track" by Martin Jones, that's in Bm, and played on an E
harp by Blueshiner.

http://jamq.org/jamqueue/harmonica/hbopenmic/listeningpost.php

It's hard to beat practicing scales to develop minor-key harp skills.

-Eric