new sound sample on the Fat Dog website
Robert Reynolds
2007-11-25 06:24:55 UTC
I posted a new sound sample on the web site today.

www.fatdogamps.harmonicagear.com/sounds.html
Keith Adams
2007-11-25 19:26:16 UTC
Got to be honest. Sounds terrible IMO
Robert Reynolds
2007-11-25 21:08:44 UTC
Yeah, Keith. I know.
RawFoodGuy
2007-11-26 12:52:04 UTC
Post by Robert Reynolds
Yeah, Keith. I know.
Post by Robert Reynolds
I posted a new sound sample on the web site today.
www.fatdogamps.harmonicagear.com/sounds.html
I like it. Some folks like a cleaner sound. Some like a more distorted
sound or "crunch." At the event that I recorded this clip, several of
the best pro harp players ine state came up to me to asking about the
FatDog amp because they were favorably impressed. So I believe that
this question is a matter of taste, individual style and to a smaller
extent the amp, pedals and mic used. I don't m,ind stepping up to a
vocal mic and playing clean, relying only on my own tone, but I prefer
more crunch myself. What sounds terrible to one listener is beautiful
to another.

- Robert
RawFoodGuy
2007-11-26 12:58:50 UTC
Post by RawFoodGuy
Post by Robert Reynolds
Yeah, Keith. I know.
Post by Robert Reynolds
I posted a new sound sample on the web site today.
www.fatdogamps.harmonicagear.com/sounds.html
I like it. Some folks like a cleaner sound. Some like a more distorted
sound or "crunch." At the event that I recorded this clip, several of
the best pro harp players ine state came up to me to asking about the
FatDog amp because they were favorably impressed. So I believe that
this question is a matter of taste, individual style and to a smaller
extent the amp, pedals and mic used. I don't m,ind stepping up to a
vocal mic and playing clean, relying only on my own tone, but I prefer
more crunch myself. What sounds terrible to one listener is beautiful
to another.
- Robert
Also Rob, remember that this clip was recorded live at a noisy club,
so if it is the recording quality that is not up to snuff perhaps you
should remove the clip. The most important thing to me is what best
represents you and your amps.

- Robert
Robert Reynolds
- Robert
Bandit
2007-11-29 16:01:38 UTC
Robbie, any idea when the mini-amp will be ready for prime time?

Jack
Robert Reynolds
2007-11-29 19:25:47 UTC
I've been working on that a lot recently. Remember Bob Pruitt of Bob
and the Blues Demons? In addition to being a great musician and a
really cool guy, he is an electronics engineer and general guru of tube
circuits. I sent a prototype to him and he designed an output interface
that wouldn't generate hum in the PA. Now I'm trying to find the right
people at Shure so I can get them to sell the signal transformer that
Bob told me to use.

I'm also redesigning the circuit board to completely eliminate all of
the wiring. Once I get the circuit board design finalized, they will be
delivered in about three weeks, and then I need to settle on a metal
case design. After that it will be a month or so for delivery of the
cases. At that point I should be able to start assembling and shipping
the amps.

This process has almost sapped my enthusiasm, but I am still confident
that people will like the product when it's finished, so I'm still
chipping away at it. I have a real appreciation now for what it takes
to design, troubleshoot, and build an electronic device. Point to point
wired amps are a lot easier in some ways. When you're doing a printed
circuit board you have to research every part on the board so you get
the holes the right size and in the right places, and you have to spend
hours laying it all out and routing the traces, and you have to make
sure it's going to work correctly before you order 50 of them. Building
the point to point prototypes in a test box was a lot easier by
comparison.

Anyway, it will be ready soon, in a couple of months probably. I have
some momentum and I'm not going to stop now. In fact, I'm going to look
up Shure's phone number right now.
Jack
Eric Stahl
2007-11-30 04:29:58 UTC
Post by Bandit
Robbie, any idea when the mini-amp will be ready for prime time?
Jack
Go Robbie, Go!
You've got a cheering section :-)
-Eric
John Agosta
2007-11-30 06:12:07 UTC
Post by Bandit
Robbie, any idea when the mini-amp will be ready for prime time?
Jack
Go Robbie, Go!
You've got a cheering section :-)
-Eric